PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE - Need Advice On Setting Up New Linux Machine

mathfish
January 24th, 2017, 03:27 AM
As the title says, I am a newbie to installing and setting up a linux distro. I am wanting to set up a modestly beefy workstation with Ubuntu to start doing some coding work. I first started looking at ZaReason or System76 to configure a machine with something like a i7 processor and 32 GB of RAM but the price coming out the other side was too steep. So I began looking on ebay to buy a hp z series but they all seem to come preloaded with windows. I did a little googling and I found very little info on how to install ubuntu on say a hp z820 series but did find a few posts mentioning problems. . .

So I am very nervous about buying a $700+ machine that has windows on it and become a head ache because I don't have the skill to install ubuntu but I also am not too eager fork out $1000+ to buy a preloaded built one from a vendor.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

kevdog
January 24th, 2017, 03:44 AM
Ok -- don't fret -- think of it as an adventure. You can always dual boot, and in your case, depending on how much you really want to use Linux -- possibly installing it within a hypervisor like virtualbox is a solution for you.

If you want to install on bare metal, linux problems usually associated with poor drivers. You want to find out for example the best you can about the available graphics card (Id say Intel Graphics support > ATI > Nvidia) however all can work depending on the card. Networking Card or chipset sometimes is also a problem. Specialized sound cards also a problem, however if using on board audio usually they work. Research types of components since that is the discrepancy. The first time you do this its a long learning curve. Now on probably my 20th linux install, I don't fret as much.

poorguy
January 24th, 2017, 03:49 AM
Take a look at this thread it may shed some good advice before throwing down a lot of money.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2349959&p=13597622#post13597622

ubfan1
January 24th, 2017, 04:55 AM
You can take a look at linlap.com. Not much there on the HP z series though.

Bucky Ball
January 24th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Welcome. Well, HP z820 worked fine with 12.10 (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2096861). Don't see why it wouldn't now. Possibly better as more time for developers to get across it.

I can't find any serious issues that haven't been fixed with this machine so can see no problems with it, but we can't control your confidence or lack of it re. whether you can install Ubuntu or not. Got an old machine you can practice on?

Best way of gaining confidence is doing some research and having a clear idea of what you are doing before you go near the install process. Don't dive in ad hoc. You may severely steepen the learning curve and waste hours trying to dig yourself out of a hole. But you will learn something about Ubuntu in the process. :)

Whatever problems you do have with the install, if you have any, we can certainly help you with them. Ubuntu is a learning curve, so you need to be prepared for that. Put the thinking cap on and start learning straight away. Ubuntu is not a drop in replacement for Windows so you should also do some research and make sure it is for you :)

You can download the desktop ISO, create install media, boot from it and 'Try Ubuntu' without changing anything on your drive. You may not like it. You may find one of the other flavours, like Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu or another, preferable. I strongly advise you take a test drive before buying any machine for Ubuntu if you haven't tried it and don't know what you're getting into.

Good luck.