PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Suddenly LOGIN as Guest in the Ubuntu OS. LIKE REMOTELY CONTROLLED BY 3RD

oskar12
January 22nd, 2017, 04:34 PM
Hi there! When started UbuntuStudio today I got the ALLERT that I am login as a Guest and all my files being saved will be deleted when I LOGOUT the session =>I schould have to save all my files on an external USB device.. In the Firefox I ve noticed there were all my most visited sites DISSAPEARED. Some other sites that I ve never met before were there instead. Like I m getting remotelly controlled by a 3rd party and I am only GUEST in this Ubuntu Studio OS. In the MENUBAR I am also indicated as a GUEST. DO I GET INFECTED or whats a heck/trick in this suddenly changes in my UbuntuStudio which I have used quite well for a few months.
Despite technically educated my prime activity is actually music/art and I m not much in the programming the code. I run Win7 since than cos the security.
Thank you for any help or suggestions in advance. Regards Oskar

Impavidus
January 22nd, 2017, 06:57 PM
The existence of a guest login is a standard feature of Ubuntu. When you login as a guest, the usual user profile is not accessible and you can't permanently store anything on your system. So that explains the later symptoms. The question is why you are forced to use the guest login. Did you get any warning or error messages during boot? When at the login screen, can you get to the console (ctrl-alt-F1, use ctrl-alt-F7 to get back) and login there? Maybe you get a useful error message.

When someone else has gained access to your computer, which is implausible but not impossible on Linux, the only really sure way to get a clean system again is reinstalling. But I'm not convinced that happened to you. Using a live disk you should be able to access your files.

Do you have an encrypted system or an encrypted home directory?