PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Driver Installation for AMD Radeon R9 380X

freeos2017
January 14th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Hello,
Fairly new to Linux but been playing around for a couple years already. I want to get the most performance out of my machine so do I need to install the drivers from the AMD website? If so, could you provide steps on how to do that?
Or is the AMD Tonga driver good enough?
Thanks!

QIII
January 14th, 2017, 09:55 PM
If you are using 16.10, you should be able to install AMDGPU-PRO and the Vulkan SDK from the Ubuntu repositories.

Do you have synaptic installed?

4l3x2
January 15th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I use this thread because is somewhat similar to my issue.

I just sold my Mac Mini Late 2009 and bought a (used) Quad Core with 4Gb of ram, 600Gb Hd and (Sapphire) Ati Radeon Toxic R9 270x with 2Gb ddr3 video ram.

After installing XUbuntu 16.10 I did all the upgrades and installed all the software I need except of the video drivers.

The line I see from lspci (related to the video driver) is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao XT / Trinidad XT [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270X/370X]

In order to obtain maximum performances I downloaded the drivers from AMD/ATI, but they are for 14.01 Ubuntu (64bits).
They are packaged in a .deb file, so I tried to install them anyway. The gui is correctly shown, but when I click on install, the procedure stops suddenly and I´m back in the initial page.

Now I´ll try to install the driver suggested by QIII, but what are the differences between these packages?

Except of being open/closed source, obviously.

Thank you very much :)

4l3x2
January 15th, 2017, 09:11 PM
A little update, AMDGPU driver was already installed, Vulkan sdk is not shown by Synaptic, I installed all the possible choices:
Vulkan utils
Mesa-Vulkan drivers
Libvulkan1
Libvulkan-dev