PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible to have an "thicker skin" forum?

egon spengler
August 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Somewhere where people can freely disagree with each other without having threads locked because someone was "impolite"?

There could be a big dislaimer, similar to what the backyard has, that only people who don't feel too vulnerable to criticism should post there. I'm not suggesting that there should be a forum to openly abuse people but it seems that a few too many threads get locked because someone was slightly abrupt or sarcastic. Although I don't agree with this kind of thought policing I understand the reasons as to why it is implemented but at the same time I'm sure that many of you (mods and admin) must understand that some of us have slightly thicker skin and so are less troubled at the prospect of someone over the internet being slightly rude to us.

Again, I'm not suggesting a free for all where anything goes or an unmoderated forum, just something for those of us who are a bit more resilient and can deal with strongly worded opinions.

The thread that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was the Ubuntu "Christian Edition" rant (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233375&page=4) where a very interesting exchange between Terracota and Aysiu (and a welcome break from discussions of desktop readiness and Windows) was halted because some replies were not courteuos enough. Could it be possible to allow discussions with a similar tone (personally I didn't see any of it as particuarly abrasive or hostile) to continue somewhere?

KiwiNZ
August 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
..I'm sure that many of you (mods and admin) must understand that some of us have slightly thicker skin and so are less troubled at the prospect of someone over the internet being slightly rude to us.

You said the answer yourself. We cater for 140,000+ members . We need to try to cater to the biggest majority.

As for the thread in question, its all been said before .

egon spengler
August 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
You said the answer yourself. We cater for 140,000+ members . We need to try to cater to the biggest majority.

I understand this but there are now sub forums for SPARC architechture and Gentoo, does anyone really believe that more people will use the slackware forum than a sub forum where (mildly) heated exchange is allowed? I know you guys must realise how frustrating it can be for us to read an interesting thread only to get to the last page and discover it's been locked because someone was slightly abrupt with someone. Like I said, I'm not suggesting a free for all atmosphere where anything goes, just somewhere for those of use with a little bit thicker skin to discuss ubuntu/Linux related stuff

As for the thread in question, its all been said before .

Well I didn't want to make this a thread about that one particular thread but if that was locked due to repetition

a) why did you not just say so instead of attributing it to a lack of courtesy?

b) I think we all know a massive amount of threads on this forum are repeated. In community chat right now there are two threads abuot market share, there's been two or three "too much choice in Linux" threads over the pst fortnight

mips
August 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
There's always the option to take thread further with http://modfree.2.forumer.com/ but if it is closed you won't be able to direct anyone there.