PDA

View Full Version : Linux popularity

fund_raiser
January 11th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Hello

There is much effort put into making linux OS more popular with people all around the world. But the more popular it is, the more viruses and malicious software will be created for it. Nowadays viruses are mostly written for windows and that is good news for all linux or MAC users. If linux was as popular as windows, I am sure there would be much more effort made to crack Linux and its security system. I mean that using it would not be as safe as it used to be. I am aware the fact that it is difficult to crack Linux and write fine working viruses for this system. But with evil intentions, ingenuity and effort much can be done to crack Linux's secuirty system and find bugs. There are not 100% safe operating systems; there are always some bugs that could be used to crack into Linux OS.

So I've come to a conclusion that the less popular Linux is, the safer surfing the internet is.

geeksmith
January 11th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Nearly every American home is running Linux. It may be in the form of a Wi-Fi router, smartphone, DVR, cable box, Blu-ray player, media streaming device, tablet, or any of the "smart" appliances out there. It's not as popular as a desktop/laptop operating system, but only because it's not available as an option from major computer manufacturers.

Linux is also extremely popular as a server platform and used by every major company both internally and in hosted/cloud environments.

I agree that obscure, unpopular operating systems are less of a target. Viruses and worms aimed at laptop/desktop users aren't targed for Linux because apple and microsoft are much more prevalent there. Linux is still a large target for hackers and has been for a long time because it is hugely popular in embedded systems and appliances.

yetimon_64
January 11th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Have a read of myth #2 --here-- (https://www.unixmen.com/top-5-security-myths-about-linux-and-their-realities/) :-) . Cheers, yeti.

halogen2
January 11th, 2017, 10:43 PM
So I've come to a conclusion that the less popular Linux is, the safer surfing the internet is.
Err, no - https://hackademix.net/2008/01/12/malware-20-is-now/

HermanAB
January 28th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Actually there are several billion Linux devices out there and billions more BSD, Solaris and other UNIX-like systems. In general, their security is good enough that they do not make easy targets for malware. About ten years ago, I made a living out of fixing broken Linux servers and most problems were due to some ass-hat who thought using a 4 letter password was kewl and an inexperienced admin who didn't configure the machine properly to begin with. Considering how many billions of machines never have problems, that is a very limited problem though.

RobGoss
January 28th, 2017, 11:23 AM
I think Linux OS's and Linux in general is very popular nowadays in fact most of every company out today uses Linux in some form. The free world of Linux has a way of doing things and as long as this concept continues I don't think we have much to worry about

QIII
January 28th, 2017, 05:13 PM
"Popularity" as a percentage of the PC segment? Somewhere between 2 and 5% of that market.

However, Linux has already beaten Windows by orders of magnitude. There are vastly more Linux devices (in your home, your car, your phone, the industrial equipment used to build your car, your smart TV, many government agencies, Novell, Google, IBM, Panasonic, Amazon, 95%+ of supercomputers, most of the internet backbone) than there are Windows/Microsoft devices.

When will Linux win? It did years ago.

uNoubu8a
January 28th, 2017, 07:26 PM
IOT botnets are best botnets... (and linux makes best IOT)

mastablasta
January 30th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Sony PS has some modified BSD a cousing of Linux.

many worthy targets but with propper config it is a bit more difficult to break in. but most home users are or were concerned only with their desktops and desktop protection. so most news and fear focuses on that.

also as i know Windows too became a lot more secure if one configures it well.

haplorrhine
February 13th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Have a read of myth #2 --here-- (https://www.unixmen.com/top-5-security-myths-about-linux-and-their-realities/) :-) . Cheers, yeti.

Even considering the extent to which security-through-obscurity is valid, you could also go with a more obscure browser, which Linux makes easy.