PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] get andale.exe

pedro_rodriguez2
January 11th, 2017, 01:05 AM
I am using Ubu 16.04
For a while now, when I update, I get a message about 'updating flash plugin'. A tarball is downloaded, unpacked, then it tries to get something called andale.exe from sourceforge. This never succeeds and I get a message “failed to download packages" I can click a button which tries again, but fails again. This has been going on for a while now.

Can I get this file from somewhere else?

howefield
January 11th, 2017, 11:53 AM
If you tried to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer I'd suggest purging it and installing the 3.6 version of the package from an alternative source, eg

sudo apt purge ttf-mscorefonts-installer

to get rid of the current package

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/m/msttcorefonts/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb -P ~/Downloads

to download the 3.6 version of the package to your Downloads folder, and

sudo apt install ~/Downloads/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb

to install the new package.

santosh83
January 11th, 2017, 12:01 PM
If you tried to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer I'd suggest purging it and installing the 3.6 version of the package from an alternative source, eg

But why is this package broken on Ubuntu considering Debian is upstream and Ubuntu could always pull the non-broken version from the former?

howefield
January 11th, 2017, 12:08 PM
But why is this package broken on Ubuntu considering Debian is upstream and Ubuntu could always pull the non-broken version from the former?

Ask the package maintainer.

I believe sourceforge (where the actual font files are downloaded from) changed the location rendering the package broken. I'm not really too interested in the "why" but there are a ton of bugs on launchpad that you could go read and add heat on, or you could simply not use the broken package.

pedro_rodriguez2
January 12th, 2017, 12:34 AM
Thank you very much! Worked like a dream! I always wonder how people know all these things, it's a mystery to me, but I very glad you do know!

I'll keep an eye on it at update time, see if the flash plugin installer throws up any more problems.

howefield
January 12th, 2017, 12:41 AM
Thank you very much! Worked like a dream! I always wonder how people know all these things, it's a mystery to me, but I very glad you do know!

I'll keep an eye on it at update time, see if the flash plugin installer throws up any more problems.

You're welcome and glad it worked, if you get a prompt regarding flash don't worry, just post again and it will be a simple enough fix for that one too.