PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Language problems with Terminal and Cinnamon

DifferentTrains
January 10th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone,
I have my locale (so time, date, etc) set to UK, but would like to use Esperanto as my language on the desktop. After switching language on the system (Ubuntu 64 bit running Cinnamon), I found terminal no longer worked. I could get around this by installing and using xterm, which still worked fine.

I later reinstalled setting the language to Esperanto during install and so everything was set to that to start with (but with locale the same). However I find the default Terminal application still doesn't work, and I have to use xterm. There are a few other things which seem to be defaulting now to English which were in Esperanto after switching languages earlier (such as days of the week in English, Menu instead of Menuo, All applicatons instead of Tutaj programoj or something similar, etc).

Any idea how to sort this?

sudodus
January 10th, 2017, 07:33 PM
This is a workaround: Do you know, that you can tweak xterm so that it looks pretty nice? For example

xterm -title 'xt - my own xterm' -fa default -fs 10 -bg '#2b2c2b' -fg '#f0f0f0' -sb -rightbar

according to the manual
man xterm

You can make an alias for it, for example xt,

alias xt="xterm -title 'xt - my own xterm' -fa default -fs 10 -bg '#2b2c2b' -fg '#f0f0f0' -sb -rightbar"

and add it near the other aliases in ~/.bashrc

The next time you start a terminal window, you will have the alias xt. You can also make a desktop file with the tweaked xterm command line, after Exec=

-o-

I don't know how to fix the problem with the standard terminal window and Esperanto, I hope somebody else can help you with the problem itself.

DifferentTrains
January 12th, 2017, 10:58 AM
I found a solution, which I am sharing here for anyone else having similar problems.
Open a hidden folder in your home directory called ".pam_environment". Control+h to show hidden files, or for those who prefer a terminal, your favourite text editor followed by ~/.pam_environment.
Add these two lines (or alter them if already there):

LANG=eo
LANGUAGE=eo

I put eo for esperanto, but of course change to whichever language you wish to use.

sudodus
January 12th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your solution :-)