PDA

View Full Version : Everyone with a gmail accound just got upgraded !

senectus
April 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
They've bumped our mailbox limits to 2 gig.. for free!

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
april fools :)

senectus
April 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM

nooo.. dead set serious..

You are currently using 322 MB (16%) of your 2050 MB.

:-)
I'll even screen shot it if you want.. login.. check your accounts.. it's well past april 1st.. and the accounts HAVE been upgraded

Buffalo Soldier
April 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Just checked my GMail. It's true. 2050 Mb. :)

Hermes
April 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
It's true, along with a bunch of other cool new features.

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/whatsnew.html

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
No april's fools. The moved was made after Yahoo announced a 1gb upgrade to their accounts.

carlc
April 2nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
How many people can use that much space? I am back to only using 1% (You are currently using 26 MB (1%) of your 2050 MB). I know that there are some programs that you can use with gmail to exchange files but apart from that 2 gigs is a lot of space.

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
How many people can use that much space? I am back to only using 1% (You are currently using 26 MB (1%) of your 2050 MB). I know that there are some programs that you can use with gmail to exchange files but apart from that 2 gigs is a lot of space.
You can use gmail as
a) A file system:
Use your GMail account as a filesystem
GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail
account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and
uses the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the
filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

b) Share files with friends. With those nice labels, I have full music albums in backup. I have most of my hard to get Linux applications there [Cedega, Crossover, etc], important backup apps like Hirens boot CD, etc.

c) Its just nice to have to freedom to store whatever you please.

Xian
April 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
The moved was made after Yahoo announced a 1gb upgrade to their accounts.
Don't mess with Google. :)

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Don't mess with Google. :)
Now if they would increase their upload limit [2gb and 10mb upload limit is not cool ..] .

Lagiv
April 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Now if they would increase their upload limit [2gb and 10mb upload limit is not cool ..] .
A friend of mine sent me a 14mb file yesterday, so it's probably increased.

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
I just read their Help page, and it still says 10mb. Have to wait for the official announcement or Ill have to contact them myself [wich I'm doing as we speak].

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

People can send you larger files, but you cannot send anything larger than 10mb. (So far)

carlc
April 2nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
You can use gmail as
a) A file system:

b) Share files with friends. With those nice labels, I have full music albums in backup. I have most of my hard to get Linux applications there [Cedega, Crossover, etc], important backup apps like Hirens boot CD, etc.

c) Its just nice to have to freedom to store whatever you please.

Yeah, I guess I am not taking advantage of my gmail account. My friends are all losers...I mean windows users. I guess we could still share files with a gmail account meaning that I could use a linux program and they could use a winwdows program..right? #-o

TravisNewman
April 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
They have gmail drive for Windows. So if you set up a joint account, you could both access it with gmail drive, yes.

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
They have gmail drive for Windows. So if you set up a joint account, you could both access it with gmail drive, yes.

They're just a bit behind on the mac stuffs though...

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 08:59 PM
People can send you larger files, but you cannot send anything larger than 10mb. (So far)
Actually, not. I asked the GMail team and this was their reply:

You can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in size, including attachments. Incoming messages over 10 MB will be returned to the sender without being delivered to you.

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Gmail is just getting more cluttered as the days go on. I don't really like it. I think they need to do a better job with how you turn the RTF on. Not like it's going to change though; I'm one of few in a mob of people who only care about features.

Luke

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Gmail is just getting more cluttered as the days go on. I don't really like it. I think they need to do a better job with how you turn the RTF on. Not like it's going to change though; I'm one of few in a mob of people who only care about features.

Cluttered? *looks at her gmail accounts*

Uhhh, this is absolutely pristine and bare compared to msn, hotmail. yahoo, et al. I haven't cared a lick about features before, but the ones they've added seem intelligent and useful to me.

So I don't know if I agree with the idea that it's cluttered. Maybe they've just incorporated too much change for you.

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Cluttered? *looks at her gmail accounts*

Uhhh, this is absolutely pristine and bare compared to msn, hotmail. yahoo, et al. I haven't cared a lick about features before, but the ones they've added seem intelligent and useful to me.

So I don't know if I agree with the idea that it's cluttered. Maybe they've just incorporated too much change for you.

Hehe, I guess you're right for the most part; because compared to yahoo and hotmail (God bless their souls) it's as neat as anything. The RTF thing seems to not fit in with the rest of the layout though... or maybe I'm just being stupid ;-)

Luke

benplaut
April 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM
it's still going up, but muuuuch slower now :mrgreen:

jdong
April 4th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Disclaimer about GMailFS: It violates the terms of service for GMail. A friend had his account suspended for GMailFS usage.

senectus
April 4th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I hope they make a seperate service for that.. I'd PAY for that ability.

defkewl
April 4th, 2005, 02:49 AM
You can use gmail as
a) A file system:

Guys, where can I have this GmailFS thing? I still don't understand. I've looked around gmail.google.com but still couldn't find anything about it.

thnx

TravisNewman
April 4th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Guys, where can I have this GmailFS thing? I still don't understand. I've looked around gmail.google.com but still couldn't find anything about it.

thnx
Well, as has been posted, if you use gmailFS, you're violating Gmail's terms of service. So you aren't going to find gmailFS on gmail.com.
http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

Keep in mind, use this at your own risk. Your account may be terminated.

lotusleaf
April 4th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Gmail just keeps getting better and better. For those who use Gmail's pop account feature, how well does it work for you? Does it look all screwed up in your inbox because of the way Gmail threads conversations with their webmail? I haven't tried Gmail with Thunderbird and the like for pop so I thought I'd ask cause I'm sure some of you use it this way.