PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install ubuntu

luigirock
January 10th, 2017, 04:10 AM
Hello there:

I just got tired of my W7 operating system, and one of my friens recommend me to switch to ubuntu, well I download the Ubuntu Desktop 64bit 16.4, but when installing or choosing any option of the initial menu, the screen switch to black, and nothing else happen, I´m not sure if I have to install another version, will appreciate your help, this is my pc configuration:

CPU: Intel Core CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Video: Starnard VGA Graphics adapter

Thanks a lot, hope I´m able to change to ubuntu.

Bucky Ball
January 10th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Welcome. Are you trying to dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows or Ubuntu only install?

When you say 'the initial screen', do you mean the screen that says 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu' etc.? That seems to be a 64bit processor so no issue there.

You might try a text based install with Xubuntu or Lubuntu and see how that goes as black screen could mean its having issues with your graphics card when it tries dropping into a graphics desktop (can you be specific about what the GPU is rather than 'standard VGA graphics' please?). You can install 'ubuntu-desktop' for a full Ubuntu install later if required, but I only use Xubuntu myself. Fast and sleek. ;)

luigirock
January 22nd, 2017, 07:24 PM
Thank u Bucky Ball,
Im trying to install only Ubuntu, the initial screen is like u said, where it says try ubuntu, install ubunto, memory test..., gonna try .

What u mean by installing ubuntu desktop and a full Ubuntu install later??

Gonna try to download Xubuntu to see if it works, thank u