PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP nc 4400 boot from USB with

edwardinoilcity
January 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Hello,

I upgraded my trusty HP laptop to Windows 7 a couple of years ago, and it worked just fine. Until recently, that is, when it began telling me that my version of Windows 7 was not genuine. Really? This is, however, not true! I bought a real version of Windows 10 from an authorized Microsoft dealer here in Norway.

I wrote to Microsoft, and they seemed totally disinterested in fixing the problem and they were keen only on selling me a new version of Windows 10.

So, I formatted the disk in the laptop, and now I'm trying to boot it off of a version of Ubuntu server that I downloaded and copied to a blank USB stick as an ISO image.

I have set the 'USB CD', 'USB Floppy', 'USB SuperDisk', and 'USB Hard Disk' devices as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the 'Boot Order' list respectively, however, in the 'Select Boot Device' list, the 'Notebook Hard Drive' is the only option available. By toggling the 'Internal Network Adapter Boot' option to 'Enable', I can also get 'Network Controller' in the 'Select Boot Device' list, so I know what I am doing has some effect.

I have also set the 'USB Legacy Support' option to 'Enable' in the Device Configurations list.

In summary: How can I get my HP laptop to boot Ubuntu from a USB device?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Edward

mörgæs
January 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

How does the USB stick work if you try to boot another computer from it?

ajgreeny
January 6th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Tell us a lot more anout this:-

I'm trying to boot it off of a version of Ubuntu server that I downloaded and copied to a blank USB stick as an ISO image.
How did you copy the ISO file to the USB?