PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SAMBA error when upgrading

Jonners59
January 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Just trying to update and upgrade my wife's la[ptop - HP Pavillion g series, image 4.2.0-41 and getting an error message.

Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up samba (2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.15.10.2) ...
Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
samba
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Tried the autoremove and same error message.

Any ideas, please?

Morbius1
January 5th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
This is just a guess but that error message has happened to so many people when they updated to the latest version of samba that it may be the cause here as well.

Look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and search for a line that looks like this:

security = share
Either change share to user or just delete the line which will set it to the default.
Then restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
In the past samba would log an error telling you that share level security was deprecated then ignore the line in smb.conf. With the latest version of samba they got persnickety and will actually prevent smbd from running.

Jonners59
January 5th, 2017, 08:43 PM
This is just a guess but that error message has happened to so many people when they updated to the latest version of samba that it may be the cause here as well.

Look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and search for a line that looks like this:

Either change share to user or just delete the line which will set it to the default.
Then restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
In the past samba would log an error telling you that share level security was deprecated then ignore the line in smb.conf. With the latest version of samba they got persnickety and will actually prevent smbd from running.

Thanks Morbius1
No line security=share or anything like it

Have this though in Global
usershare owner only = false
and this in Misc.
usershare allow guests = yes
and this in Share Definitions
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,

Could they be the cause?

Jonners59
January 5th, 2017, 09:02 PM
OK, went in to the config file again and changed all the =y to =yes and the error message disappeared, but still no sign of upgrades though.....

Jonners59
January 6th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Not sure why one of my posts triplicated itself, but anyway....

So as per I did not find that specific line nore anything like it. What I did do was change any =y to =yes and restarted samba.

I then did all the cleaning,
sudo apt-get clean, autoremove, etc and it started to work and the warning disappeared. Hopefully that's the last of it.