PDA

View Full Version : Should I install updates on Dell inspiron especial edition 5557 ?

fbio7
January 5th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Processor: Intel Core I7 -6500 U CPU @ 2.5 GHz x4
Graphics: Intel Skylake ULT GT2
Os Type: 64-bit
Nvidia Geforce

Hi ...I buy a Dell inspiron 5557 especial edition with ubuntu pre-install and after go to menu install and check for updates. The system show the message for partial upgrade or option continue (img 1). What should I do ? I don't want to upgrade my system only get the updates.

For precaution I already save a recovery boot in a USB disk and a iso file in the HD. I was thinking maybe is better install a virtual machine install ubuntu and try the options for there. Sugestions ?

img 1

Fábio

wildmanne39
January 5th, 2017, 03:14 AM
Never do a partial upgrade that always breaks things.

Since you bought your dell with ubuntu pre-installed if you upgrade it, it usually breaks the wifi and possibly the graphics as well. That being said if you install security updates and do not update the kernel then you might be okay, hopefully someone will answer that knows how to go about it for sure.

I work with wireless issues and upgrading to a new version of ubuntu or new kernel usually breaks the wifi.

Dell installs special drivers that make ubuntu work with their system but only with the OS version that is pre-installed at time of purchase but usually we can help make everything work again if you upgrade or update something that you shouldn't.

fbio7
January 6th, 2017, 12:17 AM
Thanks a lot wildmanne39 for share the knowledge.

wildmanne39
January 6th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Your welcome, if your question is answered to your satisfaction please use thread tools at the top of the page to mark the thread solved.
Thanks