PDA

View Full Version : 16.04 not booting and no console available. “A start job is running for Hold until bo

patricia-e-miguel
January 4th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I've seen other people having this issue and being related to video drivers. So there are a few solutions regarding removal and reinstallation of those drivers. The thing is, I can't open a console to type any commands.
Pressing shift until grub shows up doesn't help, as it gets stuck and unresponsive at the GRUB screen and no keys work (GRUB version is 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.2).

While in the purple background startup screen, pressing ctrl+alt+f1 (f2, f3, I've tried them all) shows "A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up".
Sometimes I get the Ubuntu logo to show up (with a screwed up resolution) and even the loading indicator (the dots changing color) but that's as far as it gets.

I have a bootable CD with Ubuntu 16, but not sure how to use it to help me with this issue.

Any solutions available?

patricia-e-miguel
January 4th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Well, I was able to get the grub to work and system to boot. Keyboard was disabled from BIOS.
Just went into the BIOS and from Integrated Peripherals enabled USB keyboard.
Then, once in GRUB screen, selected Ubuntu advanced options, recovery, root mode and from there I ran dpkg-reconfigure lightdm.