PDA

View Full Version : Let's start an Open Source Magazine in South Africa

schurtek
August 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM
This has been something I have wanted to do for as long as I have been using open source (couple of years now).

I have started putting ideas together with a friend of mine (who converted me to the church of open source) and have now put together a website to facilitate this project (courtesy of my company).

So any one interested in taking part... please come and join me at www.osm.za.org (http://www.osm.za.org/) (yes that is the right address).

My aim is to make this magazine a community project, and hopefully create some jobs for some south africans who are passionate about open source, while at the same time, spreading the good news...

MaximB
August 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
it would be a web free magazine right ?
not the kind of magazine you sell in the stores ?

schurtek
August 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
it would be both... a PDF magazine for download, as well as a printed magazine with cover DVD.

Tomosaur
August 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Nice idea, but there are a few minor spelling errors on the front page (I notice things like that, that's how lame I am :( ). You also refer to some stuff such as GNU etc, you may want to turn them into links.

I wish you luck though :P

schurtek
August 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
thanks for that buddy...

slowly we will be linking every keyword on the site... spelling errors... would you believe English was one of my strongest subjects at school, and I also do proof reading at the office, but when I type... I make silly mistakes... thanks buddy... I will fix them (and no, it's not lame... maybe you can join the team as a proof reader?)

K.Mandla
August 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I'm assuming there will be multilingual editions ... ?

schurtek
August 14th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Producing the same magazine in different languages can be come very expensive. In South Africa, it will push the production cost up 11 fold. Unfortunately it is not feasible to produce the magazine in South Africa in any other language than english.

blademe
October 13th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi, its been 5 years since this idea was left here. Have you gotten anywhere with it? I've only recently become interested in learning more about open source. I would be willing to help out on such a project...

overdrank
October 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg