PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop dates

WILLIAM_KENT_SMITH
January 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM
The two monitors on my desktop are suddenly filled with dates and it's driving me crazy. Under every link and folder there's a date, formatted as "Jul 24 2015" (for example). The only exceptions are three remote drive links which are not dated. A few mornings ago I turned on the machine and there they were. Since there are a LOT of them, the effect is seriously confusing and distracting.

I've looked in many places online with no luck and don't know where to go from here. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help. The OS is Ubuntu 14.04.

yetimon_64
January 2nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Open any nautilus window (like your home folder), go to the "Edit" menu > "Preferences" > "Display" tab > "Icon Captions" section and check the three settings boxes there. Depending on the zoom level the destop icons are at will determine how much information is displayed under the icons.

To avoid any problems like you are reporting with dates showing I set the first display tab box to "None", under usual sized icons this will stop further information being displayed unless I increase the icons on the desktop to rather large sizes. If you don't want any such information showing on the icons at any zoom level then set all three boxes to "None". Below is a screenshot of my Nautilus preferences "Display" tab settings for you to check and compare with.

WILLIAM_KENT_SMITH
January 2nd, 2017, 04:51 PM
yetimon_64 -- I followed your instructions and it fixed it instantly. I can't thank you enough. I sent all three boxes to "None" just to make sure, and suddenly the Desktop looks perfect again. There are, indeed, many things to learn in Ubuntu.
Cheers, Kent