PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] If i decide to install Ubuntu I might not be able to get out

olec04
December 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I want to try to run a live usb version of Ubuntu on my windows 10 laptop however there is no boot menu only the boot order which will only change what it default boots to and the only way to go back to the bios is on windows 10 when you hold shift while you restart so how will i be able to get back in the BIOS when im on the Ubuntu live USB. BTW I have a UEFI bios.

ubfan1
December 30th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Get into the UEFI settings and turn off fast boot, so you have a chance to hit a function key at power-on. Now, there should be a function key (varies by machine, try F10, F12, F2, ESC, DEL, ... etc.) to find the boot menu, not the full setup. This boot menu will give you a one time chance to boot something other than the default.

olec04
December 30th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Ok i will try

olec04
December 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM
None of the buttons on the top work :( ?

ubfan1
December 30th, 2016, 09:57 PM
At power on, there might be a note at the bottom of the post screen about which keys to press for setup, boot menu, etc. You can pretty safely put the CDROM/DVD drive and USB before the hard disk. That way, you can still boot Windows by default when no other device is present, but can still boot the USB and try Ubuntu.

Keith_Helms
December 30th, 2016, 10:50 PM
There should be a user manual for your laptop available for download somewhere. Go to the web site for the manufacturer and search for it. That user manual will tell you what key to hit to get into the bios when booting.

Geoffrey_Arndt
December 31st, 2016, 12:41 AM
Saying my "Windows PC" is not telling us JACK. What is the make and model of the laptop and we'll do a simple search and find out how to bring up the UEFI etc.