PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Laptop?

Draven_Vestatt
December 27th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop that I can purchase and install Ubuntu on it? I need one for production and not gaming. I have tablets and such, but I just can't get any work done on them in a reasonable amount of time because everything is either too slow, buggy, or freezes.

mörgæs
December 27th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Here is a list of hardware that is known to work with Buntu (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006).

Generally I recommend used gear some years old. This has given the developers more time to work with drivers and other essential software.

kurt18947
December 28th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Here is a list of hardware that is known to work with Buntu (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006).

Generally I recommend used gear some years old. This has given the developers more time to work with drivers and other essential software.

Agreed. I've had good luck with off-lease machines on Ebay. You can find business-class laptops 3-4 years old for <$150. Business class machines tend to use better quality components so may live several more years. This is being composed on a T410 Thinkpad that cost <$100 - until I put a 240 GB SSD in it.:p

Perfect Storm
December 28th, 2016, 04:13 PM
A Packard Bell Easenote is cheap and well quality. I bought one last year (an EasyNote ENTG71BM) and everything works with it after disable UEFI firmware.

Wadim_Korneev
January 3rd, 2017, 10:00 AM
I had an hp dv7 where Ubuntu and a few other Linux os worked good on. The only thing I couldn't fix was to get the subwoofer working since there was no Ubuntu drivers for that which was a shame because laptop actually had ok sounding speakers at least compared to most laptops.

I suggest you to look at whatever model you want to buy online support page and see if they have any drivers for Linux.

I know that a few of the cheap hp probook laptops even shipped with redhat out of the box. And lenovo has very good driver support as well, a lot of models even for Linux.
That's the only two brands of laptops i know of that have some Linux support for some of their laptops.

sudodus
January 3rd, 2017, 11:25 AM
+1 for a refurbished (second-hand) business class computer (Dell Latitude, Lenovo, HP Elitebook, HP Probook ...) with at least 3 months guarantee (better with 6 months or one year, but 3 months should be enough to take care of problems because of a bumpy transport and give you time to test 'every function that you need'.)

imustcat
January 3rd, 2017, 11:28 AM
An expensive one is the Dell XPS 13 that runs ubuntu but a cheap one can mostly be the HP Elitebook.

thecrazydude778
January 8th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I would probably buy an old IBM Thinkpad as they are usually easy to find on eBay (around $150 AUD) and their specifications are usually fine for Ubuntu.

g33zr
January 8th, 2017, 03:00 PM
If I were buying a cheap, used laptop, I'd also go with a Thinkpad.