PDA

View Full Version : in two years time or so

Bo Rosén
April 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Where are we then?
Just curious how people believe our beloved Gnome will change over time.
I don't know much about what is planned for either the kernel or gnome, and as far as the kernel goes - I probably wouldn't understand much of it anyway. :-)
I'm thinking about the desktop mostly.

kernel 2.8.x ?
I've no idea what is going on here but steadily improved hardware support should proabably be a safe bet? Something to do with dual kernel cpus I hear mentioned everyday now?

Gnome 3.x
Lots of incremental improvements, of course - too many to mention probably.
Mono, Beagle, Dbus, Hal et co have matured a bit. What will this mean for us? What are the cool things starting to happen with Beagle 2?
Any other exciting things waiting for us that noone has thought of yet?

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
two years is a lot of time.

the next ubuntu(october) probably will have mono,beagle,dashboard

In a while we'll see the real strengths of xorg like luminosity :
see : http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog

MaZiNgA
April 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
My thoughts on the future:

-We will have Full 3D Desktop fully rendered by OpenGL, I don't know if Gnome will still be there...I hope it will

-As for the eternal packaging problem, it will have been solved as DEB will rule over RPM at all linux distros and Autopackage will merge perfectly with the dpkg structure. :D

-We will pay much more attention to voice-commanded linux and voice-to-text programs.

-We'll get some free version of cedega! uhmmm I don't know how, somehow..! :p

TravisNewman
April 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
-We'll get some free version of cedega! uhmmm I don't know how, somehow..! :p
You already can! Compile it from CVS, or use a packages compiled from CVS

arctic
April 2nd, 2005, 09:27 PM
in two years time or so... where will we be?

well, i will be on hawaii, enjoying my spare time. i hope. ;)

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 09:32 PM
In two years Apple will become The iPOD Company and GNOME/KDE will be fighting senator Palpatine's evil Republican Army [aka Windows OS].

az
April 3rd, 2005, 03:00 AM
The software is irrelevant. The question is what impact free and open source software will have an on the software marketplace.

I am certain that whatever software I am running in 2007, it will be free to use, to inspect the source code, to change and redistribute the source code.

Even if I have to just use a console and have to use an old dot-matrix printer.

poofyhairguy
April 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Where are we then?
Just curious how people believe our beloved Gnome will change over time.

I might be in minority, but I hope to see more eye candy! Some wobble wobble, some thing like the "genie effect" for minimizing, moving backrounds like enlightenment....

Or if not, I'd like to see a Gnome Web broswer come around that is faster and better then firefox...

somuchfortheafter
April 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
I might be in minority, but I hope to see more eye candy! Some wobble wobble, some thing like the "genie effect" for minimizing, moving backrounds like enlightenment....

Or if not, I'd like to see a Gnome Web broswer come around that is faster and better then firefox...

if so check this out
http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/
looks promising

benplaut
April 3rd, 2005, 05:41 AM
You already can! Compile it from CVS, or use a packages compiled from CVS

i'm intrigued... where can you get the CVS? I google'd it and can't seem to find anything :-(

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 07:09 AM
i'm intrigued... where can you get the CVS? I google'd it and can't seem to find anything :-(
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=cedegacvs

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I think we'll finally have either Adobe or Macromedia (ha! or both!) convinced of the benefit of releasing their products for Linux as well as Windows and Mac.

Once that happens - many more doors will open for Linux on the desktop.