PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Having Issues With THe WD 6TB Blue?

ThePowerpuffGirls
December 24th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I had it almost a year, it came with the WD MyBook 6TB, and decided to use as an internal drive. Lately, for the past few months, I've been having issues with it.
When I copy data, it generally hangs, definitely when if something happens while copying. I have to run fsck -r, and restart. SMART says disk is OK.

What are your thoughts?

- Alexa

ThePowerpuffGirls
December 27th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I've backed up the data and formatted with the built-in gnome Disks management opposed to the Gparted, which I've used before.
All the issues seem to be gone. I['m able to copy files to back to the drive, without any leg or interruptions, and I'm able to play videos without the video freezing. I will wait until all the data is back on and wait a couple of days to make sure.

- Alexa

kurt18947
December 28th, 2016, 03:48 AM
I've backed up the data and formatted with the built-in gnome Disks management opposed to the Gparted, which I've used before.
All the issues seem to be gone. I['m able to copy files to back to the drive, without any leg or interruptions, and I'm able to play videos without the video freezing. I will wait until all the data is back on and wait a couple of days to make sure.

- Alexa

The version of Gparted found in 16.04 seems to have 'issues'. I keep a 14.04 live USB just for Gparted. 14.04 seems to work as expected.

1clue
December 28th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Backblaze.com has quarterly statistics on failures down to specific make/model numbers. Didn't look at the latest numbers but WD generally scores at the bottom of the curve, and have done so for quite some time.