PDA

View Full Version : Finally ready to buy a notebook, need some advice on my candidates

Piggah
August 12th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm finally ready to be buying a new notebook. I've been researching for the past couple months, with a couple threads here as well. I've narrowed my search down pretty well at this point. I've picked out three ASUS notebooks I like, since I hear ASUS notebooks work great with Linux and they're priced nice. Along with those, I'm considering a macbook.

Here are the three ASUS notebooks I'm looking at: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3123409&WishListTitle=notebooks

and the macbook I like: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6084001/wo/jL2NZyQyH6mT22RLkQznNadeR4V/2.?p=0

Firstly, I need to decide between Macbook and ASUS w/ Ubuntu. I mainly want the macbook for fun media stuff like Frontrow, iSight, iDVD, most of iLife. I also know that the wireless will work for sure. I'm just a bit worried about it because I know I'm going to be in DRM hell with it and I really don't want to go back to paying for software.

I like the ASUS's because they're priced better than the macbook, obviously. I just worry that some notebook features won't work or that I still won't get what I want out of it. I'm especially worried about wireless, since I'll be taking it to various hotspots.

I'll mostly be using it as a tool of convienence. Taking it to friend's houses, coffe shops, loafing around the house, or incase my desktop goes down for whatever reason.

As of now, I'm really considering getting an ASUS, so I really need advice on those. I think I'd be happier overall with Linux..

I could really use some final advice from you guys. You've helped me so much in the past, so I know I can count on everyone. :)

Thanks a lot. :D

fuscia
August 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
i have a system76 pangolin (asus), came installed with dapper and everything worked great out of the box, including wireless.

Piggah
August 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM
i have a system76 pangolin (asus), came installed with dapper and everything worked great out of the box, including wireless.

I was considering system76 for a while. It seems like I can get a better deal with a regular ASUS, and for me, that little bit saved is a lot.

They do look really nice though...

idn
August 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I have a macbook pro running dapper and everything pretty much works apart from the mic and some of the function keys. The build quality is amazing and its really light and quiet, so I would say go for a macbook / macbook pro

RAV TUX
August 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I am using OS X on MacBook now, but not by choice, this is what we have at my work.

I would say: buy anything but a MacBook or anything by Apple....I have ethical problems overall with Apple, and the quality is severely disappointing....

You would do better to go with a Fujitsu LifeBook T4210 Convertible...my wife just got one and it is awesome...

I loaded Ubuntu on my Freinds Fujitsu T4210 so he uses XP Tablet Edition/Ubuntu 6.06, simply awesome.

Fujitsu is very Linux friendly atleast for Ubuntu....

I also am in the market for a laptop and will difinately go with a Fujitsu convertible...

If finances are an issue go with System76

zachtib
August 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
your wishlist isn't loading for me...

anyways, If anything, i'd go for an ASUS a8jm, i think newegg carries them. apparently, everything works out of the box with dapper, including the webcam/mic/card reader. don't hold me to that though, just relaying what i've heard. if you want internal bluetooth for the a8jm, you can order it from laptopsinc.com

Ptero-4
August 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Look no further than System76. I'm about purchase a Gazelle Performance laptop from System76. I have heard lots of good reviews about System76 latelly and from what I have seen myself I can tell you that it's going to be a good purchase and I recomend you to buy from system76, those guys really know their business and, unlike those scammy ******* based PC makers, System76 won't "cut corners" with bad quality components or put hidden costs. I assure you.

Donnut
August 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Ya, look at system76, i'm personally running on an old compaq, and have been extremely lucky with it, everything just always works... Could be a Linux thing?