PDA

View Full Version : Community operated reposiory

xXx 0wn3d xXx
August 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I have been thinking and I think I have found a way to allow more up to date software into the repositories. Basically, there would be a seperate repository called the "community" repository. About 25-100 trusted users would have acess to upload to this repository and it would contain new software. This would not be an offical repository but it could be added if wanted. So what do you think ? Good idea or bad idea ? This is based on how Archlinux works and if a new version of Gnomebaker is released it is in the repositories in 1-6 hours.

Christmas
August 12th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Great idea, I always want to have the latest versions for some packages. But what are the universe/multiverse sections in the main repositories? I'm a little short of knowledge about them however aren't they maintained by the community?

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I have been thinking and I think I have found a way to allow more up to date software into the repositories. Basically, there would be a seperate repository called the "community" repository. About 25-100 trusted users would have acess to upload to this repository and it would contain new software. This would not be an offical repository but it could be added if wanted. So what do you think ? Good idea or bad idea ? This is based on how Archlinux works and if a new version of Gnomebaker is released it is in the repositories in 1-6 hours.

If you would like me to correct the spelling in the title let me know

Community operated reposiory

%hMa@?b<C
August 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
seems like a good idea! but would these be like "real" packages, or like checkinstalled that anyone and their brother could do?

23meg
August 12th, 2006, 02:12 AM
It's a good idea if it's going to be completely unofficial.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
August 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
seems like a good idea! but would these be like "real" packages, or like checkinstalled that anyone and their brother could do?

They would most likely be checkinstalled but it would make Ubuntu more up-to-date and make it easier for people who can't compile their own packages to have the latest stable software.

kabus
August 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
There's Universe already. Anyone who is willing to create packages that live up to Debian/Ubuntu quality standards can do that in the already existing infrastructure.
An unofficial community repo that doesn't have the same quality standards and doesn't work closely with the rest of the community would probably lead to a lot of breakage. Just look at the early days of backports before it became an official project.

cstudent
August 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
The binary deb packages are installed as root. I don't think it is a good idea to entrust your computer to any Tom, **** or Harry who slapped together the latest and greatest version of a software program in a deb. Although I would like to have more up-to-versions of software sometimes, I'm not willing to install just anything just for the sake of having the newest. I've been spending a lot of my own free time learning how to build debian packages the right way. And as was brought up in the MOTU class the other day on building packages, people are giving you root privledges to their computer and entrusting you. That's not something that should be taken lightly. The MOTU people who manage the universe and multiverse packages do a great job and are there for a good reason. If you want to have more up-to-date packages available then get envolved with the MOTU program.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU