PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Bittorrent causes CRISIS (final fantasy style)

Griff
August 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Allow me to elaborate. I get out of my last final for the semester and I receive a call from my new roommate about the internet being down and how I need to fix it. Anyway, I get home, get on my comp, click on firefox and sure enough no internet. I reset the modem/router to no avail, check his comp and lo and behold problem found.

You have violated international copywrite laws.
We are hereby bound to disable internet access until the following actions are performed:
1) Disable P2P software
2) Delete copywrited 3rd party data

"Oh Craps!" I say to myself.

What I want to know is how things like this are caught. I've used Azureus for about 6 months with no problems. I usually just download Anime that I have on DVD so I can watch in on my comp. (Don't know how to reduce file size of ripped DVDs, help?) Do I have some protection from azureus or linux or have I just been really lucky? It would be a travesty for a Computer Science major to lose high speed internet.

nalmeth
August 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Or to have the RIAA police pay you a visit.

Your ISP is more than able to track your traffic. They can't really watch every single persons traffic, but they probably flagged you when they saw you are uploading severe amounts of data. That is, if you are sharing at the same time. If you aren't, well in any case it's probably not difficult to watch these things.

My ISP just told me I was using too much bandwidth.

Why don't you just burn all your media, stop downloading music for a while, and maybe they'll hook you back up.

Kimm
August 11th, 2006, 11:45 PM
stop downloading music for a while, and maybe they'll hook you back up.

LOL! xD :rolleyes:

Brunellus
August 12th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I don't much like the logic there. What if all that bandwidth is (in my case) seeding ubuntu cd images? A large spike in bandwidth does not necessarily mean a copyright violation.

nalmeth
August 12th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well if the OP is correct, they've played the card, and while you can, maybe he can't prove all the bandwidth was legit.

If he wants his internet back, he can do what they want, or get a different ISP.

%hMa@?b<C
August 12th, 2006, 01:47 AM
where did that message show up?
what OS is he using? I have heard that macs/linux dont get caught as much as windows, due to programs that can track you download activities. I have no idea if that is true though,.

Griff
August 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
He's on windows, and the message would only show up in IE. And the internet is back up. The IE message though actually had the name of the file that was illegeal. I just deleted that folder of his and unplugged his external drive until i knew exactly what was going on.

Griff
August 12th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Why don't you just burn all your media, stop downloading music for a while, and maybe they'll hook you back up.

It wasn't music. It wasn't me. And burning my media doesn't even make sense. My whole point was having MY own stuff on the computer but in smaller file sizes. He won't be downloading on bittorrent though; he was using the default port for bittorrent so I went in the router and forwarded that port to my laptop.

1oki
February 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
your a comp science major and your asking things like this? You don't deserve the Internet then...Seriously... Peer guardian 2, Tor, and your set... Proxy the hell out of your traffic...

%hMa@?b<C
February 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
your a comp science major and your asking things like this? You don't deserve the Internet then...Seriously... Peer guardian 2, Tor, and your set... Proxy the hell out of your traffic...
buddy... this is from like... last summer

1oki
February 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
i realized that after the post...

mips
February 2nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
buddy... this is from like... last summer

roflmao

rabid9797
February 2nd, 2007, 03:20 AM
i believe both azureus and utorrent have an option for enforcing encryption. if you enebaled these options you'd be able to download without any problems(since they wouldn't be able to see what you are actually downloading)

although, i would stop download stuff for awhile and just law low just in case.

BWF89
February 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM
Peer guardian 2, Tor, and your set... Proxy the hell out of your traffic...
I tried Peer Guardian 2 on my Mac and it wouldn't let me view certain websites. I tried Tor back when I was using Windows and it made my connection as slow or slower than dial up.

Mateo
February 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM
time to change ISPs. Most ISPs protect their customers. Mine has virtually every binary newsgroups, which is used almost exclusively for pirating copyright material. They wouldn't provide that if they cared about the RIAA.

%hMa@?b<C
February 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
time to change ISPs. Most ISPs protect their customers. Mine has virtually every binary newsgroups, which is used almost exclusively for pirating copyright material. They wouldn't provide that if they cared about the RIAA.
please tell me which one it is... verizon has nothing of the sort.

Mateo
February 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
bellsouth DSL. now, the retention isn't good in comparison to the professional services, like giganews (which is what you probably want if you already have an isp contract), but for an ISP isn't one of the best. mostly because they don't cap you, virtually every other isp gives you a max of 2 or 3 gig a week.