PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use umake to install outside of the /home/ dirtree?

clunk2
December 7th, 2016, 07:02 AM
0 down vote favorite (http://askubuntu.com/questions/857891/umake-permission-denied-when-installing-outside-home-directory-even-as-root?noredirect=1#)

I'm trying to install firefox-dev using umake. By default the umake install path is `~/.local/share/`; I'd rather it was in `/usr/local/` or `/opt/`.
The problem appears to be umake (or, rather, the `os.py` script it runs) not having permission to create files/directories - this happens even when I'm running as an admin user elevated using `sudo`, or I've switched to the root user using `sudo -i`.

Here's an example of the relevant error:

os.makedirs(self.install_path, exist_ok=True)
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/os.py", line 231, in makedirs
makedirs(head, mode, exist_ok)
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/os.py", line 241, in makedirs
mkdir(name, mode)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/umake'

Command run is `sudo umake web firefox-dev`. Does not matter where I run it.
As for install paths (entered into the prompt during install attempts), I've tried all options from explicitly declared absolute paths (including creating the dirtree myself, which ultimately and unsurprisingly just pushes the error messages back to file creation) to being in the target dir and using './'.

I have no problems doing anything as root myself, but those permissions don't seem to be being inherited by the python install script(s).

Is there any way I can get umake to let me install items where I want it to?