PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Old kernels not being purged

fr33z0n3r
December 3rd, 2016, 10:56 PM
I know that there is some awareness of issues related to old kernels hanging around in /boot. I'm curious if my config has an explanation for this. Ubuntu 16.04

Linux hostname 4.4.0-51-generic #72-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 24 18:29:54 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I discovered today that /boot was over half full with about 10 kernels. So I ran

sudo apt autoremove --purge

Since then now I only have the following remaining. But I wonder about that oldest version. Why is it hanging around? Is this old kernel causing the lack of autoremoval?

/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-51-generic
/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-51-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-47-generic
/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-47-generic
/boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-43-generic
/boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-43-generic

ian-weisser
December 4th, 2016, 03:04 AM
Autoremoval is deliberately fragile; designed to fail rather than autoremove large slabs of your system - it may fail due to a manually-installed header package, or a half-configured package, or a dozen other causes.

One check is to look for manually-installed packages. Anything apt-marked as 'manual' is inegible for autoremoval.

apt-mark showmanual | grep linux

Another check is to look for obsolete release-specific metapackages that were not removed:

dpkg -l | grep linux | grep vivid

Another check is to look for obsolete kernel header packages. Those sometimes prevent the associated kernel image from autoremoving:

dpkg -l | grep linux-headers

Another check is to look for unconfigured or half-configured kernel packages. These usually happen during an out-of-space condition.

dpkg -l | grep linux-image-generic