PDA

View Full Version : The issue with Canada and anime...

darkoptix
April 2nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Well I love Canada, but there is one thing that has been ******* me off about living here. Anime. I love it, ever since watching Ghost in the Shell and Akira a couple years back, i've been hooked...
Now, Loving anime envolves watching it, which it hard in a place that seems not to recognize it. Seriously, when I heard Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was coming out, I was wanting to see this movie really bad. In the US, big theaters had it playing, however in Canada, it was aired twice at a special film festival in Toronto. I live on Vancouver Island, and it's kinda hard to get to Toronto just to see a movie. I'm not that much of a fan to go that far. It wasn't untill the release of the dvd when I could finally see it. Now, Steamboy, a movie made by the same guy that made Akira! Is being released to theaters. Of course, even a english redone anime title, is only playing at Toronto, and Vancouver. That's two theaters in a huge country. However the US has it playing lots across at major cities.

This is more of a rant that anything...
I'm going to call the theater tomorrow and complain. :(

I also hate Telus, but that's another story...

Anyone else like anime here? and if so, which are your favs!

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM
I'm going to pretend I did not see the offending Canada part in your thread and stick to anime.

I like anime. My current favorites are:
Mai-Hime [so sexy yet kick a$$]
Evangelion [long time no see, but it has got to be here]
Rurouni Kenshin [best, ever]

I renamed the thread for a less offending one. Problems with this private message me.

TravisNewman
April 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM
What offending Canada part? Canada rocks! You ever been there?

Edit: Crapola, I didn't read the last line of your post, sorry

darkoptix
April 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
I do live in Canada, and I did said I love it... I'm just tring to make my point that there are reasons concerning anime on which it isn't very efficient... Here is another reason I totally forgot to put in my post above.
Canada has TechTV like the US, but it's controlled by different people... well kinda. After the merge with that ugly thing called a g4 - to make g4techtv, things have been going downhill, however techtv does have an anime show which brings different episodes of different series together, called AnimeUnleashed. However the CRTC(people who control communications and things of that nature in Canada), say they cannot put on this show.(link: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2003/db2003-169.htm)

Another thing I forgot is my fav list:
movies:
ghost in the shell 1 and 2
akira
appleseed
ninja scroll

series:
neon genisis evagelion
full metal panic
last exile
rahxephon
cowboy bebop

TravisNewman
April 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
You should really see the movie "Metropolis." That's probaly by favorite Anime. I do love Akira and I remember really liking Ghost in the Shell 1, but I don't remember it. At all. Need to watch again. Cowboy Bebop rocks hard.

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
You should really see the movie "Metropolis." That's probaly by favorite Anime. I do love Akira and I remember really liking Ghost in the Shell 1, but I don't remember it. At all. Need to watch again. Cowboy Bebop rocks hard.
I TOTALLY forgot about my beloved BEBOP :-| :-O ! It's my #2 anime ever [#1 in coolness factor].

Darkoptix I understand what you meant, but naming a post Canada Sucks is not going to make people love you here ..