PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 16.10 Upgrade Will Not Load after Password Input

SpikeLS6
November 25th, 2016, 06:49 PM
I did the Software Updater Installation of 16.10. It comes up to a Ubuntu Password Input Screen. Once the password is entered the screen goes black and sometimes this screen comes up for 1-2 seconds, then after some screen blinks returns to the password input screen.

I can not get into Terminal to do any other analysis or commands. Is there a way to fix this apparent Monitor problem, or must I reformat the entire hard drive and try a fresh 16.10 install from a USB stick?

Spike

Bashing-om
November 25th, 2016, 08:25 PM
SpikeLS6; Hello;

At the login screen can you activate a console interface from key combo ctl+alt+F1 ?
If so we can consider that the graphic's driver is broken and take steps to fix that issue.

things we can do

SpikeLS6
November 25th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Yes I can get in with ctl+alt+F1. With username & password input I am now at a screen with the laptop name ending in ":~$ _".

What might be next?

Spike

Bashing-om
November 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM
SpikeLS6; Hey ! Outstanding .

So the system is intact . And we are looking at a X layer issue .

What is the hardware for graphics ?
Post back the result:

lspci -k|grep -iEA5 'vga|3d'

code tag tutorial:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2171721&p=12776168#post12776168

And what shows for a graphics driver ?

sudo lshw -C display

I realize here in this console interface you do not have the amenities of a terminal emmulator , In that lshw output the point of interest is the configuration line . Retype what that line is .

Maybe all we have to do here is re-install a graphic's driver .

could be

SpikeLS6
November 25th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Hardware for Graphics:
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Pavillion dv9668eg Laptop
Kernel Modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_304

Graphics Driver:
Display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G86M [GeForce 8400M GS]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
version: al
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pc: express vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:ce000000-ceffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:cc000000-cdffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Bashing-om
November 25th, 2016, 11:07 PM
SpikeLS6; Uh Huh ..

No driver is loaded ..
Let's try:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf #just in case that file does exist##
sudo apt purge nvidia*
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
sudo reboot

Upon resuming from the reboot .. all good now >

could be, could be

SpikeLS6
November 26th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Ubuntu moved the nvidia file up from 304 to 340, so one of the update screens said. However, nothing changed. After the reboot I continue to get the same screen saying it can not find the correct monitor file (same error I submitted on the uinitial post) screen. I checked again and found the /etc/X11/xorg.conf no such file or directory. I also noticed that there are 165 packages that can be updated, and 58 updates are Security updates.

Am I back to the beginning or is there progress?

Bashing-om
November 26th, 2016, 01:18 AM
SpikeLS6; Well ..

If you fail to follow my direction, Then I fail to be able to follow a thought process .
As you do advise:

there are 165 packages that can be updated, and 58 updates are Security updates.

And I had directed :

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

If you followed, and there was an issue that you did not say . There is not a thing then I can do.

We are indeed back to clean up, update/upgrade, install the driver .
So start again at the beginning. One thing at a time and advise here if there is a problem at any step .

together we can

SpikeLS6
November 26th, 2016, 01:28 AM
OK. I will watch for anything that does not allow it to come back to the :~$. Missed something. Be right back.

SpikeLS6
November 26th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Different going through the same commands this time. At the end of the apt update, it said I was missing some files and to do a "sudo apt-get update --fix-missing". I did, and more files came in. The apt update command took much longer this time and i saw numerous different screens this time. I did see that it eliminated Nvidia 304, then replaced it with Nvidia 340. The Ubuntu-drivers also took much longer with things on the screen I did not see the first time through. When the command line finally came up I did the sudo reboot and it came up correctly. It even kept the GRUB correct and did not interfere with WIN 7 on a separate hard drive. It has completely rebuilt the three grub files 4.8.0-28, 4.8.0-25, and 4.4.0-43.

Thank you for hanging in there with me. I will show this problem as [solved].

Bashing-om
November 26th, 2016, 04:13 AM
SpikeLS6; Great !

Pleased ya got it sorted out .
There is value in insuring that the system is kept up-2-date, huh .

'buntu

all for one
and 1 for all