PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Software Fails to open (launch)

aajax
November 15th, 2016, 08:09 PM
When I try to launch Ubuntu Software it briefly displays an incomplete screen that resembles what is expected and immediately closes or fails.

Curiously, this behavior seems to be a direct result of allowing the Software Updater to update the system. As it happens I am running multi-boot and have a second instance of the problematic system that seems to still function correctly. Note: the working system was created from an image of the problematic system and either is, or is close to, the same update status as the problematic system. I've attached a screen shot from the properly running system of the Software Updater. In that, this should be a pretty accurate portrayal of what was updated. Needless to say I did NOT allow the upgrades and find myself in a precarious state until a resolution can be found.

Also, when the failure first occurred there were some dialogue box messages displayed, that I failed to capture, but the GNONE Software package was referenced as the cause of the error.

aajax
November 15th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Going back to the failing system I was able to produce dialog box error and have now attached 2 more screen shots in order to show all of the details reported.

deadflowr
November 15th, 2016, 11:10 PM
The crash report output shows that the gnome-software and gnome-software-common packages are obsolete.

If you close the software updater and then restart it, after it finishes reloading and shows the updates again, is there anything new listed for gnome-software?

Or perhaps try a more manual method from a terminal:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
choose n for no if you feel unsafe applying the updates.
you can copy/paste the output if you like.

aajax
November 16th, 2016, 04:29 AM
The Software Updater seems to function normally. When run it says the system is up to date.

Also this happened when I was trying to install a package. I was able to install the package using Aptitude.

I think Aptitude is also showing that gnome-software & gnome-software-common are not using the latest version. As I said, this problem seemed to have been caused by allowing the Software Updater to apply updates. I do recall that these gnome packages were on the list of packages to be updated.

Does the Software Updater maintain any kind of log that might provide more information?