PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu keeps becoming unbootable shortly after installing

mkanmori
November 11th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Hi,

My dell t5400 has issues running Ubuntu. After install all is okay no errors then soon after it will fail to boot, I get black screen after grub and blinking curser. I can never find out the reason why. Also, the ctrl + alt + f1 doesn't work and none of the methods to get into the command line work.

How can I troubleshoot this? Each time I must reinstall it but the os seems fine after that so I have nothing to go on.

Thanks

howefield
November 11th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Thread moved to the "Installation & Upgrades" forum.

bearlake
November 12th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Have you checked the HDD for errors?

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/disk-check.html

ian-weisser
November 12th, 2016, 04:06 AM
How many reboots until it fails?

mkanmori
November 12th, 2016, 01:20 PM
not sure 10 or more. If I go advanced mode I can get the os to boot, what should I run to find out the cause?
thanks

ian-weisser
November 12th, 2016, 04:07 PM
There's nothing you can 'run' to find out the cause yet.
You have not provided enough information yet to isolate if it's a hardware fault, software fault, partitioning fault, grub fault, or something else, so we're playing 'twenty questions'.
Nobody else has this problem, so it's something specific to your system...

Is your system set to dual-boot with another OS?
Do you have an answer to bearlake's question?

mkanmori
November 12th, 2016, 06:45 PM
thanks, its dual booted with windows 10 which is on the grub manu (automatically did this). I tried to disable the windows hd on bios but it didn't work. I also did a grub upgrade, nothing changed.

I can't get into the os at the moment, before I could use recovery mode to get it to boot. But I will keep trying to see if the HD has errors. But its a fairly new ssd.
Thanks

ian-weisser
November 12th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Does your system reliably boot to Ubuntu after a Windows session? Or is that when it fails?

mkanmori
November 12th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Yer i fails every time after a restart. After a fresh install it would work okay for a while, yer about 10 or more restarts.

I can't get into the os atm - nothing.

thanks!

mkanmori
November 12th, 2016, 08:30 PM
okay I got into os again from recovery mode. The hd status is disk is ok, smart data and self-tests all ok.

thanks

ps. I have an nvidia gt730 inside the pc (dell t5400) which could be causing this perhaps, but its using the latest nvidia driver 367.59.

wildmanne39
November 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Read only happens uaually when there is a drive issue, I suggest you run a disk check.

mkanmori
November 12th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Ah,

I used an older nvidia driver (340) and it booted up without issue. That's why!

thanks bearlake and ian.

bearlake
November 14th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Ah,

I used an older nvidia driver (340) and it booted up without issue. That's why!

thanks bearlake and ian.

Should go back to "thread tools" above your 1st post and select "solved".

I'm sure it will help others. :)