PDA

View Full Version : Linux is truly good for business.

irv
November 11th, 2016, 06:44 PM
This was a good article on Linux in ZDNet. (http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-linux-can-save-small-businesses-and-old-hardware/?loc=newsletter_small_thumb&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=27083111410508975466348956972958)

7dEfOk4AgU
November 11th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Yes and no, this is dependent on so many factors, for example, what they do, who they interact with, what software they use for such things as accounting and so on.
Linux or any open source software has a place and in many cases will be very cost effective but the opposite also applies trying to change can be a very costly and unsuccessful.

Thorough investigation, POC and fall back are vital before jumping in. Definitely not a decision that should be taken lightly.

irv
November 11th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Mike, my son just stopped at my house when I was reading your post and he has a small business where he bills his customers on his cell phone, and while they are making out the check he emails their bill to them. He said he has an app on his phone that works faster than when he uses it on his computer. He uses "wave" online accounting. https://www.waveapps.com/
Business' are changing the way they do business. A lot of stuff can be done online now. With that said, I will also agree with you if your business requires special software, Like CAD for Engineers you might be stuck with Windows.

JayKay3OOO
November 12th, 2016, 01:48 AM
It's harder to set up a Business level server environment than I expected. I'm currently locking myself in my flat for the weekend to get terminal services, the equivalent active directory / domain set up, remote control software, software / OS deployment server, mail server, print server, the correct file and storage services for users and a few other things.
I'm basically re-creating our Windows server 2012r2 based network setup and truth be told even with Linux knowledge it's a challenge. I've been working learning the equivalent softwares for the last week in my spare time and it has been a real challenge. Much harder than Windows server.

However, I've spoken to a couple of companies who are expanding into Linux so said setup will certainly come in handy for future job opportunities as long as I don't tare my hair out before I complete it.

Interesting read though!

7dEfOk4AgU
November 12th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Mike, my son just stopped at my house when I was reading your post and he has a small business where he bills his customers on his cell phone, and while they are making out the check he emails their bill to them. He said he has an app on his phone that works faster than when he uses it on his computer. He uses "wave" online accounting. https://www.waveapps.com/
Business' are changing the way they do business. A lot of stuff can be done online now. With that said, I will also agree with you if your business requires special software, Like CAD for Engineers you might be stuck with Windows.

I agree it's getting easier but great care and preparation is needed before any change is done. Not only with all internal processes and applications but those of the people one does business with. Office applications are good example if you exchange documents etc with other organisations your office suite needs to compatible and with MS Office being so dominant it is quite often the deal breaker. Libre Office is a good suite it is not as polished and featured as MS Office and exchanging between the two is not that great.

I have been involved with fall backs from disastrous attempts to change to open source. Server and storage is a different story.

For individuals open source is becoming easier however, especially those with simple Office needs etc .

irv
November 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Here of late I have been seeing a switch taking place from stand-alone programs like MS Office and LibreOffice to Office 365 and Google Docs/Slides/Sheets. I found that Google Slides display my Power Points and LibreOffice Impress files just find.
Another things is data files. With everything stored in the cloud, it is easy to jump for on device to another and you are able to get to your stored documents.

Maybe one more point. I use Google Chrome browser because all my setting and bookmarks on stored in the cloud as well.

This is going to be the way of the future so it doesn’t make any difference what OS you have. This is why I chose to go the Linux route.

When I turn on my laptop in the morning I reach over and put my glasses on and I am at the grub menu and I hit the enter key and reach over and pick up my coffee, take a sip, set it down, login, open my browser and I am ready to check email. Then I can drink my coffee while I read them. All this happens in lest then a minute. What more can a person want.

cariboo
November 14th, 2016, 06:22 AM
The company I work for just moved one of the core applications from AIX to openSUSE and I've read elsewhere that we use Ubuntu in the cloud. We have locations in over 110 countries and employ more people than the populations of some countries.

irv
November 16th, 2016, 02:31 PM
The company I work for just moved one of the core applications from AIX to openSUSE and I've read elsewhere that we use Ubuntu in the cloud. We have locations in over 110 countries and employ more people than the populations of some countries.

Read my post #111 at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2335916&page=12 I was talking about this very thing you have posted here. Except I couldn't get the company to go the Linux route.

HermanAB
November 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
"When I turn on my laptop in the morning" - Why don't you use suspend?

irv
November 18th, 2016, 02:22 PM
"When I turn on my laptop in the morning" - Why don't you use suspend?

There are times when my computer is put in suspend mode, but here of late I have been turning it off because it only takes seconds to start from a cold boot.

peribean
November 23rd, 2016, 11:31 AM
I think it is good for young entrepreneurs in the start-up period for free linux :popcorn:

alexw359
April 24th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Linux is best and easier in usage,open source software resembled with UNIX.

oldos2er
April 25th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Back to sleep.