PDA

View Full Version : Gnome search tool does not open containing folder

VanillaMozilla
November 7th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Open containing folder is an option in the Gnome-search-tool context menu. If you select that option, a notice "Opening <file>" appears briefly in the system tray and then disappears.

Here the terminal output.
(nautilus:5786): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_interface_skeleton_unexport: assertion 'interface_->priv->connections != NULL' failed

(nautilus:5786): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_interface_skeleton_unexport: assertion 'interface_->priv->connections != NULL' failed

(nautilus:5786): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(nautilus:5786): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(nautilus:5786): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Does anyone have current information on this? (There is a Gnome bug report on this [671317], but it's from from 2012.) It would be awfully nice if Ubuntu could finally get a fully functioning search tool.

mc4man
November 7th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Maybe mention what release & session you are using. That has worked fine here in recent history, 14.04 > 16.04, ubuntu session.
Also not sure what "system tray" has to do with this (- Ubuntu doesn't use a systray anymore, maybe some other sessions do.

VanillaMozilla
November 8th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Oh, sorry. Ubuntu 16.04 Flashback (Metacity). And I don't know what it's called, but the default panel at the bottom displays running applications, among other things. That's what I was referring to as the system tray.

And of course the search tool works in Unity, so this problem refers to Flashback.
EDIT: Not exactly right. The search bar in Nautilus works in either desktop. Gnome-search-tool does not. So we're back to the first question. What's wrong with gnome-search-tool?

VanillaMozilla
November 12th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Bumping this to call attention to the editing that I just did. The gnome-search-tool has options that the search bar in Nautilus does not, but it's not working right.

VanillaMozilla
November 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Someone has recently reported this as bug 1633953.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-search-tool/+bug/1633953