PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Using daily cdimage.ubuntu iso file?

ajgreeny
November 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I am just about to clean install and move from my current Xubuntu-14.04 installation to Xubuntu-16.04 and have downloaded the most recent daily .iso image file from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/xenial/daily-live/current/ (with a date of 4th Nov 2016)

Am I correct in thinking this is a good way to do a clean install saving time updating after installing the OS, or am I asking for unknown troubles and untested packages? The live system runs very well from USB, and the only difference I can see between this live system and my VirtualBox install of Xubuntu-16.04 is the kernel version, which is one point version higher in the live .iso file than in my fully updated installed VM.

Has anyone else successfully clean-installed from that daily iso file, or a previous one?
Did you have any problems at all that you could put down to using the daily .iso as opposed to using the standard install .iso file?

sudodus
November 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM
I think it is a good idea :-) In principle, you will get the same system or very similar, if you install from the Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS iso file and update & upgrade.

If you want a persistent live system, it is even better to start from the current daily live iso file, because you cannot upgrade the kernel in such a system.

-o-

But it is a different matter with a not yet released version.

-o-

Edit: I think you should turn off the proposed repository to get a smooth ride (in this case xenial-proposed).

ajgreeny
November 6th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks sudodus; that is what I thought, or perhaps more truthfully, it's what I hoped, as I've never used a daily version before.

I always have the proposed repos disabled in my OSs as it seems a bit too risky to use them, and I read of many problems when users have enabled them without realising what it might mean, ie don't use them unless you can fix the problems they may cause.

I have sued the daily iso files to install VMs in VBox several times, and I update the iso files with zsync if there is a problem, but so far I have not had any real difficulties using these daily isos, so I simply wanted to check before overwriting my main installed version.

I'll update this very soon with all info about how it works; as I say the live OS, now from an updated 6th Nov 2016 iso is still running beautifully smoothly and fast.

bearlake
November 6th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Just to add a little.

I like having my /home in its own partition on the test drive.

If things break you can always do a fresh install with a newer daily version.

Using zesty can update an existing daily build saving time and download usage.

I can do a fresh install and have all programs working in 15 min pointing the install to use the existing /home.

ajgreeny
November 6th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Yes, I've been using a separate /home partition for many years now so my OS version upgrades only take about 15 - 30 minutes as well, plus the time adding all the other installed packages that I need as I find I want use them.