PDA

View Full Version : If the OSes were cars

ArgentWarrior
November 6th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Windows - You buy this one, you're basically playing Redmond Roulette. This car is about a ton heavier than it should be, and gets about two gallons to the mile. It's expensive and looks nice, and it may work reliably for years. But there's always a chance that it will snap an axle, flip 27 times and explode, without warning and for seemingly no reason. It will also drive itself to the dealership and exchange itself for newer models without your permission, whenever it feels like it. Additionally, the car sends your GPS coordinates to the manufacturer every five minutes, and there are no pedals -- the car has an AI that does this for you whether you like it or not.

MacOS - This car comes in three variants: underpowered four-cylinder compact with no active cooling, shiny sedan, and overpriced sports car lookalike with a sub-par engine. The car is beautiful and runs efficiently, but the hood is riveted shut and all of the components inside are welded or glued together. If you ask the dealer what's inside, you're told to stop asking questions, because you don't need to know, and everything will be handled for you. If the slightest thing goes wrong, you have to scrap it and buy a new one.

Linux - It's free and for the most part it runs well. Some variants are already set up for you, some work more reliably than others, and some require a bit of assembly. Most of them need a serious paint job before they're presentable, and if you use higher-grade fuel it'll probably explode.

Bucky Ball
November 6th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Ha! Not sure about the accuracy, but I certainly found it amusing. :)

bearlake
November 6th, 2016, 06:12 AM
^^ This...

poorguy
November 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Linux - It's free and for the most part it runs well. Some variants are already set up for you, some work more reliably than others, and some require a bit of assembly. Most of them need a serious paint job before they're presentable, and if you use higher-grade fuel it'll probably explode.

Linux sounds more like it would be a kit car as there are so many different choices to choose from and it is highly tunable if an owner has the need or desire to do so. :cool:

yetimon_64
November 6th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Ha! Not sure about the accuracy, but I certainly found it amusing. :)

+1, reminds me a bit of the next image I collected a couple of years back; I think it was originally posted on this site by another user a long time ago, :) ...

Bucky Ball
November 6th, 2016, 06:09 PM
... the next image I collected a couple of years back; I think it was originally posted on this site by another user a long time ago, :) ...

Ha! Pretty similar. Love the Linux description. :)

PJs Ronin
November 7th, 2016, 01:06 AM
+1, reminds me a bit of the next image I collected a couple of years back; I think it was originally posted on this site by another user a long time ago, :) ...

Hot dayum! I've been looking for that image for years. Google was no help especially when all I could remember was the word "furniture" and not "apartment".

Kris_M
November 7th, 2016, 06:48 AM

Linux - at least Ubuntu - it's free and works very well out of the box. Uses lots less memory. Faster. Recognizes changes of hardware (including mobo chipset) correctly on the fly without the need to add a bunch of drivers. Put an R9 380X in it and it didn't bat an eye. Far more reliable than win. Paint job out of the box is extremely usable. Did I mention it's free. debe! (does everything but eat.)

kennster2
November 7th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Haha, interesting way to look at it:)