PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I love Ubuntu but with release 16.04 not so much

trash1464
November 3rd, 2016, 08:47 PM
I have been a happy Ubuntu user for about 10 years. Release 16.04 is another matter. An upgrade from 14.04 did not go well so a clean install, including formatting the system drive, was performed from DVD media. The system has yet to perform up to expectations.

Duplicity, SAMBA and CUPS were not installed by default
System "Internal Errors" occur - intermittent
Total system lockups occur - intermittent
Total system lockups when launching a Windows 8 VM in Virtual box - solid failure
WINE app runs with corrupted fonts - solid failure
Software updater no longer operates - solid failure. Updates must be manually checked for in system settings and the Software center.
Cairo-Dock will not auto start at boot
Virtual desktops vanished and had to be re configured
Thunderbird got corrupted, removal and reinstall did not help
SAMBA client now prompts for a password when connecting to Free NAS guest account where no password is required
SAMBA client does not honor delete keystroke issued against files in the Free NAS CIFS share, rather a right mouse click and selecting delete from the flyout menu

This system ran great under 14.04 without any of the above issues. Am I the only one with a raft of issues with 16.04? Should I nuke this machine again and do another clean install using a newer image? I would rather not go back to 14.04 but the thought has crossed my mind. What would you do?

SuperFreak
November 3rd, 2016, 09:36 PM
I have to concur with the Updates not working automatically. It is a nuisance

kevdog
November 3rd, 2016, 10:11 PM
Did you upgrade or install fresh with 16.04

trash1464
November 3rd, 2016, 10:50 PM
Upgrade first then format and clean install

trash1464
November 3rd, 2016, 10:54 PM
I guess the question is, are the installation images upgraded real time or is the iso from today the same as it was on release date?

QIII
November 3rd, 2016, 11:06 PM
Hello!

The iso is fixed as of the release date.