PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Install Ubuntu 16 LTS on a Spectre x360 Kaby i7

care2bear
November 2nd, 2016, 09:52 PM
Not sure if i'm in the right area but it's worth a try. I recently purchased the Spectre x360 w/ Kaby lake i7 and have encountered some difficulty loading Ubuntu. Specifically, no wifi or sound present. I'm looking for some direction/instruction.

Thanks

jmogey
November 2nd, 2016, 11:03 PM
I believe the Kaby Lake needs a newer kernel than comes with 16.04; give 16.10 a try. What wifi chipset does it use?

care2bear
November 4th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Networking: Intel 8265AC dual band WiFi 802.11b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth.

Thanks

RobGoss
November 5th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, Have you tried accessing the sounds settings? at the top of your desktop you should see a little speaker click on that and click sound settings
There are a few options there you can alter to get the sound working like making sure your sound is not muted, then make sure your sound output is listed and highlighted this should ensure that your sound can be heard

As for your WiFi issue you'll see two arrows at the top of your desktop, click on the the arrows and see if your wireless network is available to connect to if so just click on your WiFi access point and login it should connect.

If you still have trouble connecting to your WiFi opening up Software & update, then Additional drivers and see what proprietary drivers are available for your system

Hope this helps

bjje
January 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. The new one looks like a nice package.
Are there any updates or another thread somewhere?

Update; I got one, running 16.04 with the 4.9 kernel. Pretty much everything works I think, except screen rotation sensors and top speakers.
I have not tried bluetooth yet, but it's window says it's disabled. I've heard that if I enable it, it always is on and wastes battery, even if turned off.