PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Black screen when I try to install

vasskalinin
October 31st, 2016, 07:06 PM
My computer's processor (AMD E1 2500 1.4 GHz) is very very limited and slow, and according to what I googled, the best options for me are installing Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I decided for Xubuntu and tried both 16.04.1, 16.04 for 64 bits AMD via USB or DVD, burning with x4. It only shows a screen with few options like installing or using without installing, but whenever I choose any of them, it turns completely black and stays there. Why should I do?

Bashing-om
October 31st, 2016, 07:56 PM
vasskalinin; Hello; Welcome to the forum.

A common kernel (boot)parameter is nomodeset, which is needed for some graphic cards that otherwise boot into a black screen or show corrupted splash screen. See : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 on how to use this parameter .

Once the operating system is installed, then an appropriate driver can be installed.

ain't nothing but a thing

vasskalinin
October 31st, 2016, 09:52 PM
vasskalinin; Hello; Welcome to the forum.

A common kernel (boot)parameter is nomodeset, which is needed for some graphic cards that otherwise boot into a black screen or show corrupted splash screen. See : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 on how to use this parameter .

Once the operating system is installed, then an appropriate driver can be installed.

ain't nothing but a thing

I added the nomodeset parameter, but I'm still getting the same black screen :/

Bashing-om
November 1st, 2016, 07:14 PM
vasskalininl Well ...

Now it has become a head scratcher.

1st up is can you boot the installer - live l/xubuntu in the "try ubuntu" mode?
As It is no !!

It only shows a screen with few options like installing or using without installing, but whenever I choose any of them, it turns completely black and stays there.

Then is this a old laptop OR desktop machine; laptop such that perhaps ACPI settings plays into this ?
Did you verify the .iso file ?
Did you verify that copy as an image to the install medium ?

Let's find what it takes to boot up " try ubuntu" .

get a firm footing

and push

vasskalinin
November 2nd, 2016, 01:36 AM
vasskalininl Well ...

Now it has become a head scratcher.

1st up is can you boot the installer - live l/xubuntu in the "try ubuntu" mode?
As It is no !!

Then is this a old laptop OR desktop machine; laptop such that perhaps ACPI settings plays into this ?
Did you verify the .iso file ?
Did you verify that copy as an image to the install medium ?

Let's find what it takes to boot up " try ubuntu" .

get a firm footing

and push

Nevermind. I had the option "secure boost" activated. I'm typing from xubuntu :)

Bashing-om
November 2nd, 2016, 01:49 AM
vasskalinin; Good deal ..

Let us know how goes, and when installed remember:
mark this thread solved;
aides others seeking the solution,
helps keep the forum clean and
precludes others miss-directing efforts to aid.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads

up up and away