PDA

View Full Version : Unable to upgrade to ubuntu16.10

jeevansai2
October 30th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I was trying to upgrade to ubuntu 16.10 but my python was corrupted early and now when i try to upgrade it says to it cannot upgrade and python needs to be repaired but i was not able to.can someone explain how to upgrade(not using liveusb please).

Bucky Ball
October 30th, 2016, 06:28 PM
No point upgrading a broken system, even if you could, so first stop is fixing the python or, alternatively, do a clean install of 16.10.

Out of curiousity: why are you upgrading to 16.10? Is it only because python is broken? If so, probably better to post a thread and try to fix python. 16.04 is stable, LTS and supported until 2021. 16.10 is just released and has nine months support.

jeevansai2
October 30th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Yes i was upgrading because python is broken i posted a thread but no reply.can you please suggest me what to do now

Bucky Ball
October 30th, 2016, 06:38 PM
I did reply and suggested what you could do in my last post. There is no point trying to upgrade a broken system. It is not going to fix python as python is broken.

Also, you were getting help here (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2341479&page=2) fixing python, someone has suggested a fix and you have not responded to them, choosing instead to abandon the thread and start this one.

I suggest the polite thing to do next would be to go back to your original thread and respond to those users who have been trying to help you there as you are heading in the wrong direction thinking an upgrade is going to fix this. It is clear. The first message your getting is a problem with python.

Frankly, I'd backup what you don't want to lose and reinstall 16.04 LTS. You will be upgrading 16.10 again in eight months tops. Odd how you were using 16.10 in your original thread but now you are using 16.04. :-k

(Incidentally, there is a known problem with Software Centre in 16.10 and using Synaptic Package Manager is the workaround.)