PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing LXDE in normal Unity Ubuntu

dogdeblack
October 28th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Hi ubuntu users.I'm currently trying to find out whats the best way to install the LXDE DE on Ubuntu with Unity DE.What I want to is to install only the minimum of LXDE so it doesn't interfere with the currently installed Unity as I also am not interested in the programs that come with it.So which package should I install?(I want it to use lightdm-locker as a lockscreen not xscreensaver)

CantankRus
October 28th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Probably don't install the recommended packages. By default, recommended packages are considered as dependencies.

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends lxde lxde-common
You may have to install lxpolkit or run polkit-gnome in the lxde session to get the admin authentication window.

Have a look at the difference in packages to

sudo apt install lxde

When running both you will be given the option to continue or quit, so you can just see what's to be installed.

Make a copy of what's installed so you can easily remove if needed.

dogdeblack
October 28th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks will look into it.Also will it use light-dm as lockscreen or will I have to configure that?

CantankRus
October 28th, 2016, 09:35 PM
You may have to add other packages for complete functionality.
You may not be even able to logout.
If so, to log out run...

kill -9 -1
I'm not really familiar with lxde.

Just look at the difference between the different install commands shown earlier
and add what you think you may need for the session to work properly.

The different sessions are basically a window manager, a session manager a panel or dock and a set of default applications.

Edit: Just tested and for logout to work...

sudo apt install lxsession-logout