PDA

View Full Version : Midi keyboard anyone?

izznogooood
October 28th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Hi guys, i was wondering if you had any suggestions on midi keyboards compatible with linux?

As my daughter grows I remember my childhood and my uncles midi-keyboard and how "awsome" and easy it was to make music. I was thinking this was something nice we could do together.

Looking at ebay the options are so many now compared to then (When roland was pretty much all there was)... Any suggestions on software or hardware would be greatly appreciated!

MartyBuntu
October 28th, 2016, 10:51 PM
I have Korg and M-Audio keyboards that work perfectly fine. If you can find Korg gear at a reasonable price, I'd say go for it.

izznogooood
October 30th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks, that narrowed it down quite a bit ;).

mcduck
October 31st, 2016, 08:38 PM
Pretty much any normal USB-connected MIDI-keyboard should work just fine. So it's more a question of what features you'd want (how many keys, velocity sensitivity, aftertouch, key weighting, additional pads/knobs/sliders etc), and then picking a decent quality one.

I'm using Akai MPK Mini (mk2) at the moment, which gives me decent keys with velocity sensitivity, plus some drum pads & knobs for tweaking the instruments in small enough format that I can carry it around with my laptop. Previously I had Edirol one (which is the brand Roland uses for low/mid range keyboards) and that was quite nice as well.