PDA

View Full Version : Grub Error Ubuntu /Win 10 dual boot

jgb219
October 27th, 2016, 04:04 AM
Installed Ubuntu 16.04 alongside 64bit Win 10 install but made changes to partition sizes after installation was complete. Laptop will not boot due to grub error, so I downloaded and ran a USB boot disk of boot repair. It didn't successfully boot, and this link was generated: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23386216

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this,

Thanks

yancek
October 27th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure what changes you made to your partitions but, looking at your boot repair, you don't have a grub.cfg file which is what contains the menu you should see on boot.
You have a standard MBR install with Grub code in the MBR but without a grub.cfg file, it won't boot. There might be an Advanced option with boot repair but if not, you can use the chroot method at the Ubuntu documentation site below to repair Grub and update it to create a grub.cfg file.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Fixing_a_Broken_System

Bucky Ball
October 27th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Let me guess. Did you resize the partitions, including the Win OS partition, with Gparted? Either way, upside-down way to do it.

Generally, defrag Win OS partition several times then shrink Win partition using Win tools. Shrink any other partitions you need to shrink (EXT* partitions with Linux tools). Leave blank, unallocated space then install Ubuntu to it. You can create partitions of whatever size you like during the install.

oldfred
October 27th, 2016, 03:05 PM
You have an error in your grub.cfg. Did you edit scripts, use grub customizer, or manually edit grub or 40_custom?

I had this once when I had a typo in my 40_custom.
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new

That is the error file or version with the error.
Reviewing that file gave me the error line number, but in my case it was a missing }, so error was not exact line.

jgb219
October 28th, 2016, 01:47 AM
thank you, I am going to try this method. I used a third party app to change the partition sizes. I made a dumb mistake in thinking I needed to manually create partition for Ubuntu. Once I saw that you can actually do that during Ubuntu installation, I figured I could give that 50GB back to the main partition, and once i merged and resized, etc thats where the trouble started

jgb219
October 28th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I resized and merged the partitions after booting back into windows.. thats when the trouble started.

jgb219
October 28th, 2016, 01:56 AM
You have an error in your grub.cfg. Did you edit scripts, use grub customizer, or manually edit grub or 40_custom?

I had this once when I had a typo in my 40_custom.
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new

That is the error file or version with the error.
Reviewing that file gave me the error line number, but in my case it was a missing }, so error was not exact line.

No, I actually wasn't even aware of the term grub until this happened yesterday.

oldfred
October 28th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Then post this in code tags:
cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new