PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fresh 16.10 Install - Invisible Cursor

porkchop_001
October 26th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Hi guys. The title says it all. I just installed a fresh copy of 16.10 onto my PC. I've spent the last 3 hours looking for fixes online, sadly to no avail :(

I've run
xsetpointer -l | grep Pointer and can clearly see my connected USB mouse.

I've run
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false and it does nothing.

I've run
sudo apt-get install gdm to switch form lightgdm to normal gdm. Still no luck.

Any hints?

slickymaster
October 26th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Freddi67
October 26th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Common issue on a computer with touchpad & touchscreen on 16.04 ("stable"), but the issue gets no attention on Launchpad. I believe the cursor is just not being rendered (by Xorg?). Still I consider reliability of the cursor an essential quality criterium.

if the cursor is missing at first login after boot, I logout and login again and the cursor appears
if it happens temporarily, it may reappear after switching to tty1 and back (ctrl+alt+f1; ctrl+alt+f7)
if you enable "gnome-tweak-tool → mouse → Show location of pointer", you can poll the mouse location with ctrl

porkchop_001
October 28th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I eventually snapped and tried an alternative USB creator to UNetbootin called Rufus (which Ubuntu actually recommend in the first place according to this https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) and once I booted it up the mouse was fine. Quite odd. All sorted though :)

Geoffrey_Arndt
October 28th, 2016, 04:56 AM
So, just to be clear . . you did a reinstall with a new usb bootable flash-stick created using Rufus, . . . or were/are you running off a Live usb flash-stick and not the internal drive(s)?