PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A useless green volume control keeps appearing and disappearing

vivian-unger
October 22nd, 2016, 11:03 PM
Ever since I updated my Ubuntu to 16.10, I have seen a mysterious green bar periodically appear and disappear in the upper right corner of my screen. I'm attaching a screen shot of this bar. It looks like a volume control, but I can't do anything with it, such as adjust the volume. If I float my mouse over it, it "greys out" (or really, it becomes a lighter green).

In my efforts to make it go away (because it really is annoying) I uninstalled Pulseaudio. This did indeed make it go away, but I also lost the real volume control on my top panel. I reinstalled Pulseaudio, and neither the real nor the fake volume control came back.

After some internet searches, I found out about indicator-applet. Reinstalling it (sudo apt-get install indicator-applet) put the volume control back in my panel, but it also brought back the ghostly green volume control.

I have therefore concluded that indicator-applet is doing this--why, I don't know. It never did this before the 16.10 upgrade. I would like to discover a way to get it to stop doing this, without actually uninstalling it, since I like having a volume control in my top panel. But I will uninstall it if that's the only way to get rid of the durned thing.

Can anyone help?

howefield
October 23rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
Don't think you can easily remove the sound notification witout removing all of them but depending on how serious you are about removing it..

http://askubuntu.com/questions/532044/how-do-i-disable-the-sound-indicator-notification-bubbles

might help.

vivian-unger
October 24th, 2016, 01:00 PM
It's a notification? What's it notifying me of? :confused:

EDIT: OK, I read the link. I'm not aware of modifying the volume when it comes up. Maybe there's some hotkey I'm unaware of that I'm pressing?

Thanks for your help, howefield!

vivian-unger
October 25th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I just booted up this morning and the indicator came up while I had my hands completely off the keyboard. It just came up again while I was typing this message. I didn't alter the volume in any way. I think this is a bug.

Is anyone else having this problem?

bearlake
October 25th, 2016, 02:34 PM
The only time it's noticeable here is when the volume is changed.

It seems you have a problem or a bug of one kind or another.

If you shut off notifications, does it still happen?

vivian-unger
November 1st, 2016, 06:27 PM
Renaming org.freedesktop.Notifications.service has stopped the volume notification. Though of course it doesn't fix whatever underlying problem is making the volume notification pop up when there's no change in volume.