PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anybody able to run these apps on 16.10?

The Bright Side
October 16th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Hey community!

I've installed Ubuntu 16.10 on my laptop and have been unable to install the following:

VirtualBox
Simple Screen Recorder
DosBox

Have you guys had any luck with these? I found DosBox in the repos at first using Ubuntu Software, but when I clicked "Install", nothing happened. After rebooting, it had disappeared. In the case of Simple Screen Recorder, the repo seems to be outdated, and I couldn't find any other source to install it from (a deb would be awesome). And VirtualBox simply doesn't seem to be available for 16.10 yet, and the 16.04 version won't install because of dependency issues.

Any luck? I use VirtualBox and Simple Screen Recorder almost daily, so I'm really hoping somebody out there has a solution.

xmegax
October 16th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I had no problem installing VirtualBox from Ubuntu Software on 16.10.
Simple Screen Recorder needs the repo updated for 16.10 and i cant get the source code to compile on it either, I followed all the read me instructions.
I have not tried DosBox.

CantankRus
October 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM
You may have to wait for some repos to catch up if at all.
I would stick to 16.04 if everything was working OK.
16.10 is only supported for 9 months.
I have another install of 16.10 for having a play with unity8 but stick to LTS releases for main use.

The Bright Side
October 16th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Hmmm, weird. I will tinker with this a bit more later today, but the funny thing is, yesterday, there was one point where it seemed Ubuntu Software only found Snap packages.

For VirtualBox, I set up its repo right away, so perhaps that's why it failed to install - I will disable the VB repo and then install the version that comes with 16.10.

mc4man
October 16th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Simple Screen Recorder should be available from ppa
https://launchpad.net/~maarten-baert/+archive/ubuntu/simplescreenrecorder

xmegax
October 16th, 2016, 05:06 PM
It seems to have failed for 16.10:
https://launchpad.net/~maarten-baert/+archive/ubuntu/simplescreenrecorder/+packages

The PPA added fine, but:
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package simplescreenrecorder

Guess we just have to wait a while..

The Bright Side
October 16th, 2016, 05:09 PM
I'll see if I can drop the Simple Screen Recorder developer a line. :-)

howefield
October 16th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I found DosBox in the repos at first using Ubuntu Software, but when I clicked "Install", nothing happened.

What do you get from the terminal command..

apt-cache policy dosbox

You should get an Install candidate with a version number which can be installed with..

sudo apt install dosbox

After rebooting, it had disappeared. In the case of Simple Screen Recorder, the repo seems to be outdated...

simplescreenrecorder can be installed with this ppa : ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder

I use VirtualBox and Simple Screen Recorder almost daily, so I'm really hoping somebody out there has a solution.

Virtualbox is in the repository, you can check what version is available for you with..

apt-cache policy virtualbox

The Bright Side
October 16th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks so much for all your responses, guys! I just installed VirtualBox and DosBox and they both work fine, and I dropped Maarten Baert a line to see if he's planning to update the Simplescreenrecorder PPA soon :-) In the case of the 2 "Boxes", there must have been some issue with Ubuntu Software yesterday. Today, I was able to find both apps and install them without issue (in the case of VirtualBox, I disabled the VirtualBox PPA first though and installed it from the Ubuntu repos).

howefield
October 16th, 2016, 06:20 PM
....and I dropped Maarten Baert a line to see if he's planning to update the Simplescreenrecorder PPA soon..

What's up ?

There is a version for Yakkety in the ppa.

https://launchpad.net/~maarten-baert/+archive/ubuntu/simplescreenrecorder?field.series_filter=yakkety

The Bright Side
October 16th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I saw it!! Awesome, it seems like it got added late yesterday!

Still not able to install it on my system. "Unable to locate package simplescreenrecorder," even after removing and re-adding the PPA, rebooting etc.. Weird. I might be overlooking something else that I need to do to get Ubuntu to "find" the package?

(of course I have done sudo apt update)

deadflowr
October 16th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Expanding the ppa page to view package details shows it failed to build for Yak.