PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 16.10

mfskanpur
October 14th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I am using Ubuntu 16.04. I wish to know whether new version 16.10 will be automatically upgraded or I have to download & install the same?

howefield
October 14th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Load up Software & Updates application and set "Notify me of a new Ubuntu Release" which you'll find in the Updates tab to "For any version"

That should offer you an upgrade automatically.

oldfred
October 14th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I prefer to keep the LTS version as my main working install and install new versions into another 25GB / (root) partition so I know what changes are coming eventually in next LTS when I upgrade main working install.

Bucky Ball
October 14th, 2016, 03:08 PM
I prefer to keep the LTS version as my main working install and install new versions into another 25GB / (root) partition so I know what changes are coming eventually in next LTS when I upgrade main working install.

+1. Me too. Don't fancy upgrading my main OS every six months. ;)

monkeybrain20122
October 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Well upgrade is not advisable, it takes a long time and tends to break things unless your system is in factory condition. if you must do a fresh install. But in general new OS releases tend to be buggy, unless you want to test it I suggest you wait a few months before you trade in your stable installation. I have a test install on an old computer, haven't noticed any big difference with 16.04 except some libs are missing (gstreamer-0.1.0) and that cause problems with installing some third party applications and the wall paper hurts my eyes (too red)

Impavidus
October 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
... and the wall paper hurts my eyes (too red)

Since the brownish wallpapers were replaced by more purplish colours in Lucid Lynx, I haven't used the default wallpapers.

I usually do a fresh install of n.10 (n being an even number), overwriting (n-2).04 LTS in the process, keeping n.04 LTS as backup. Then I upgrade three times n.10→(n+1).04→(n+1).10→(n+2).04 LTS. Upgrading tends to work in my case, but some third-party applications can give problems, so I keep an LTS release for those.

n.10 is usually not so much different from n.04 LTS so hardly worth the effort, but when you reach the last interim release before the next LTS, the changes compared to the previous LTS get interesting.

monkeybrain20122
October 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Since the brownish wallpapers were replaced by more purplish colours in Lucid Lynx, I haven't used the default wallpapers.

I usually do a fresh install of n.10 (n being an even number), overwriting (n-2).04 LTS in the process, keeping n.04 LTS as backup. Then I upgrade three times n.10→(n+1).04→(n+1).10→(n+2).04 LTS. Upgrading tends to work in my case, but some third-party applications can give problems, so I keep an LTS release for those.

n.10 is usually not so much different from n.04 LTS so hardly worth the effort, but when you reach the last interim release before the next LTS, the changes compared to the previous LTS get interesting.

I love purple, I always keep Ubuntu's default Wall paper (I hate landscape, family pictures and the likes. I like abstract designs. :)) The brown was UGLY!! (I didn't know about Ubuntu until 10.04 so haven't had the pleasure of using it)

I am not one of those who only stick to LTS, some of the best Ubuntu releases are interim releases IMO (10.10, 13.04, 13.10, 15.04, 15.10) But right now 16.04 is one of the best for me, so there is no compelling reason to switch to an unknown at this point. If I want to test an OS i install it in an external drive, but I won't bother with that for 16.10.

Bucky Ball
October 14th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Just recently I've been using virtualbox to play around with them (when I get the time). My vote for favourite recent releases would have to be 10.10 and 14.04. 16.04 has been a little problematic for me on a number of machines but stable enough. Just niggly things.