PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Slow fresh install

exsheeple
October 12th, 2016, 01:21 AM
I am installing a fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04 via CDROM on a PC:

Processor - AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs) 3.4GHz
Memory: 12GB
Hard Drive: 1TB.

It is installing extremely slow. I have installed Ubuntu on other PC's that were considerably lower specs. What could be causing this issue? Thanks!!!!

RobGoss
October 12th, 2016, 02:13 AM
Hello and welcome, You might try installing Ubuntu from a USB drive sometimes a CD installations may take a bit longer depending on the CD drive and condition. I have a laptop that takes twice as long to install any OS but if I us a USB it's much faster

howefield
October 12th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I am installing a fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04 via CDROM on a PC:

Processor - AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs) 3.4GHz
Memory: 12GB
Hard Drive: 1TB.

It is installing extremely slow. I have installed Ubuntu on other PC's that were considerably lower specs. What could be causing this issue? Thanks!!!!

Can you give some context to "extremely slowly", what does it mean ?

In my experience 16.04 seems to take longer to install than previous releases on the same hardware but not to the point of thinking it an exceptional issue.

exsheeple
October 12th, 2016, 03:48 PM
The total installation took maybe about 4 hours or so. Could it be the actual hard drive that's slowing down the installation process?

RobGoss
October 12th, 2016, 04:22 PM
4- hours is extremely long it shouldn't take that long most of my installations take about 5 minutes or so. On one of my older laptops the installations take much longer so I would say yes on older machines it may take longer then expected depending on the hardware and on that machine

exsheeple
October 12th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I agree. It never took that long when I used the computer to dual boot with Windows. This is a hard drive that I have taken out of another computer, formatted it, and install Ubuntu only. Could it be the hard drive causing this issue?

howefield
October 12th, 2016, 07:28 PM
The total installation took maybe about 4 hours or so. Could it be the actual hard drive that's slowing down the installation process?

If you mean 4 hours from booting the Live media to having a default install then that is way excessive, when I said 16.04 seemed slower to install I (for me) I meant roughly taking 20 minutes where it was 10 minutes previously, although I never timed it, just a feeling :)

If by "total" you mean including configuring and installing extra software on top of the actual install of Ubuntu then that's a different thing. Did you opt to download updates and proprietary software during the installation process, perhaps you had network issues ?

exsheeple
October 12th, 2016, 07:47 PM
It usually does take about 20 or 30 minutes normally. I did not choose to download the necessary drivers during installation. It was pretty quick to come up to the live CD screen. I don't think there are any issues with the CD ROM but I will try the installation via USB and see if I experienced the same problem. I did not notice the CD-ROM light flashing during the installation, side note

howefield
October 12th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Might be worth running the Disk utility tests and benchmarks on the disk then.

exsheeple
October 13th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Do you know any software that I can use to test the disks? Is there something on the live CD?

RobGoss
October 13th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Hello I came across this post it may help you with testing the disk and other problems https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/testdisk/

You can also find the post here
http://askubuntu.com/questions/398335/how-to-install-testdisk-in-ubuntu-13-10

howefield
October 13th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Do you know any software that I can use to test the disks? Is there something on the live CD?

As I mentioned, load up the Disks utilities and run the benchmarks and tests from there.

exsheeple
October 13th, 2016, 11:27 PM
I installed testdisk but found no how-to on using the app for test disk health, only recovering data. I used pendrivelinux to create a bootable disk but the PC didnt see the usb as being a bootable media even after accessing the BIOS and choosing the boot the the removable device strangely. This is madness!

RobGoss
October 13th, 2016, 11:32 PM
I installed testdisk but found no how-to on using the app for test disk health, only recovering data. I used pendrivelinux to create a bootable disk but the PC didnt see the usb as being a bootable media even after accessing the BIOS and choosing the boot the the removable device strangely. This is madness!

Try using a different USB port maybe the one you are using is not working correctly

exsheeple
October 14th, 2016, 01:58 AM
This is crazy... Different hard drive.... Installed like a dream! I checked original hard drive and it seems healthy. I guess not. Any who, thanks for your help