PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Alternatives to "Ubuntu Tweak" or how to commands instead

AfrikaDietmar
October 11th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Hi,

it's not possible anymore do install the software Ubuntu Tweak via PPA on the latest Ubuntu versions, it's also not supported. I still have one running on my Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and it's Janitor function is very handy to make space for new updates. Such as to remove apt cache, old kernels, package configs and unneeded packages (See Screenshot). Do you know any good alternatives to Ubuntu Tweak that offer similar functions? Is there a possibility I can copy it from my PC and install it on others? ...or will I need a list of terminal commands to carry out such clean ups?

Best regards from Sunny Mauritius!

howefield
October 11th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Sounds like Bleachbit might be what you are looking for ?

https://www.bleachbit.org/

Have a look at that site to make sure and it can be installed via the Software Centre or terminal.

oldos2er
October 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Clear your apt cache with
sudo apt clean
sudo apt autoremove should remove old kernels on 16.04.

AfrikaDietmar
October 12th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Would it make a difference if I use apt-get instead of just apt?

What does
sudo apt-get autoclean do?

Is it possible to remove old config files with this command or not recommended?

dpkg -l | grep ^rc | cut -d' ' -f3 | xargs sudo dpkg --purge

howefield
October 12th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Would it make a difference if I use apt-get instead of just apt?

No, apt is the newer form of apt-get. The two are almost interchangeable in 16.04.

See man apt and man apt-get for more details. Open a terminal and type eg,

man apt-get

What does
sudo apt-get autoclean do?

From man apt-get

autoclean (and the auto-clean alias since 1.1)
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. The difference is that it only removes
package files that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long
period without it growing out of control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from
being erased if it is set to off.

Is it possible to remove old config files with this command or not recommended?

dpkg -l | grep ^rc | cut -d' ' -f3 | xargs sudo dpkg --purge

Yes, it's possible.