PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu installation

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I have tried to install ubuntu.
All seems to work fine, until "Looking for other operations systems".

ubuntu ubiquity: find: '/toget/boot/efi/... Input/output error

ubuntu kernel: FAT - fs (sda2): error invalid access to fat (entry 0x...)

ubuntu kernel: FAT - fs (sda2): error invalid access to fat (entry 0x...)

and then the same loop.

I have an HP laptop with WINDOWS 10 (I have disabled both the fast boot option and the secure boot one)

Thank you in advance

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Your questions is a bit confusing please clarify what the problem is so we can help you

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I have tried to install ubuntu with a USB stick. At a certain point, the installation process goes into a loop (the one mentioned in the first point). As a result, I need to power off my laptop.

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
In order to help you we need to know a few things about your machine and hardware

What are the specs for your machine Ram, Graphic card, so on

How did you try to install Ubuntu USB or DVD I know you mentioned USB how did you create it?

What distribution are you trying to install ?

Is your machine UEFI / Legacy / BIOS ?

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Thank you for your help

A

RAM: 8 gb

PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i-5-3230 M CPU @2.60 GHz 2.60 GHz

SYSTEM TYPE: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

GRAPHIC CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series

DISK SITUATION

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 0 Online 465 GB 181 GB *

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 399 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 System 260 MB 401 MB
Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 661 MB
Partition 4 Primary 185 GB 789 MB
Partition 5 Recovery 898 MB 186 GB
Partition 6 Primary 97 GB 186 GB

I want to install UBUNTU on those 181.20 gb unallocated.

B

I created my bootable USB drive with rufus. The distro is ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64

C

My boot environment is EFI.

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 02:07 PM
When dual booting and using UEFI you are going to have to install Ubuntu is the same way UEFI

Turn off secure boot and disable fast startup

Then put the USB in your machine and begin the installation when you see the option to install along side Windows choose that option, unless żou want to create another partition with a pacific amount of space

I'm on my mobile so I don't have all my notes with me...

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:09 PM
dual boot with Windows 10.

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Turn off secure boot and disable fast startup

Already done.

When dual booting and using UEFI you are going to have to install Ubuntu is the same way UEFI

How can I do that ?

Anyhow, the installation works fine, until the step, which comes pretty at the end, mentioned in the first post. Is there a way to skip it?

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM
This might help you with UEFI it explains in detail
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I'm not sure what you mean at the end are you referring to choose along side Windows? And are you even seeing this option

What is the branday name for your machine so new machines are harder to install Ubunt so it also depends on what brand you have / model / Dell, Acer, HP so on

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Ok. I will read it.

choose along side Windows

Yes, that is what I have chosen. Of course, in order to show you my disk partitions, I deleted the partitions that Ubuntu has created during the installation process.

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2016, 02:30 PM
You should be using the 'Something Else' option when you get to that part of the install, not 'Install alongside'. That's problematic. Manually partition the drive with 'Something Else'. This link will explain the 'Something Else' install (http://askubuntu.com/questions/343268/how-to-use-manual-partitioning-during-installation). Windows will have an EFI partition already so you don't need to create another. Just leave whatever existing Windows (NTFS and FAT) partitions that already exist alone.

To install Ubuntu in UEFI you need to choose the USB device with [UEFI] next to it as first boot device in BIOS or hit F12 and that should get you to a boot device list where you can choose it from there. You should see two entries for the USB, one without UEFI next to it and one with.

Note: You should be using the AMD64bit version of Ubuntu or its flavours to use UEFI, not the 32bit version. The AMD64bit is for both Intel and AMD processors.

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I am pretty sure that I am installing Ubuntu in the UEFI mode.

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Please re-read my last post. I hadn't finished. :)

We need 'positive' not 'pretty sure'. :)

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 02:33 PM
If you're choosing alongside Windows then Ubuntu will take care of any partitioning you will also be able to give the partition size at that point by sliding the arrow to the correct partition size this will help you balance the amount needed for the new partition for Ubuntu

I'm not sure why you had to delete any partition

You can also create a partition using Windows with unallocated space then run the live USB installer and choose that's unallocated space to install Ubuntu this gives you more control over the disk size. Just a suggestion

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM
@Bucky Ball
My version is ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.

Is it OK?

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Yep, that's the one. Are you ticking 'Install proprietary drivers' and 'update during install' during that part of the install? If so, don't. You can do that later as it can cause issues when done during install. (Plus you can end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need/want).

Just to confirm: the install runs fine and then when you get to 'Identify other operating systems' it hangs or can't find one? You're saying this happens at the end of the install? Doubt if you would have gotten that far if this was the case, but you have booted into Windows prior to the install and made sure it is not in hibernate? As in, when you shut it down it actually hibernates the drive (thus locking it and hiding Windows, and generally the drive, to any other OS).

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Now I will redo the installation with your suggestions and I will report you again in case of errors.

it hangs or can't find one

It just says "fat-fs (sda2): invalid access to fat. And then it goes on forever trying to access the sda2.

but you have booted into Windows prior to the install and made sure it is not in hibernate?

No, I started the installation from the BIOS.

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2016, 02:59 PM
You need to boot to Windows and switch hibernation off. This error message

"fat-fs (sda2): invalid access to fat."

... suggests to me that the install can not access the EFI partition (which is the only FAT partition you probably have on the drive). This suggests Win has it locked. Some manufacturers make it very difficult and you need to jump through hoops to get (their mostly outside the standard) custom EFI setups to work.

You gave a description of your machine before. A desktop, yes? Could you boot to the BIOS and see what BIOS and version it is, please? The make of your motherboard would also be helpful if you know it.

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 03:21 PM
You should also have a backup disk for Window's just incase something goes wrong I see a lot of new user wipe their entire systems out trying to dual boot it's better to safe then sorry

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 04:01 PM
The same problem, again.

My PC is a laptop.

>wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
SMBIOSBIOSVersion
F.25

>wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
Hewlett-Packard 183E PCSCN018J3Y6V8 56.32

I have also made a video, so that you can understand the problem better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzp2RWpYC70

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I'm not really sure what happen at the end of that video it looks as though it was installing unless I miss something

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 04:20 PM
No, at the end of the video there's that loop I was talking about.

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2016, 06:40 PM
No, at the end of the video there's that loop I was talking about.

+1. Did a search for that error and could find not much but I did find this (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301830&p=13387372&viewfull=1#post13387372). Apart from that, few other ideas at this point, sorry.

Doubt you'd need to reinstall Windows, but perhaps try updating it then try again. As I mentioned, the EFI partition I think is the only FAT partition on there, so not being able to access that seems to be it. But then, the install USB is FAT also and maybe there's a damaged block or two on that.

Have you tried different install media, another USB dongle or a DVD? Did you do a MD5SUM check on the install media? At the opening options when you boot from the USB, you should see something like 'check install media for defects'. Try that.

Have you selected the 'Try Ubuntu' option? If so, does that take you to a desktop and you can use Ubuntu fine? If you haven't tried that, please do and report back.

marco139
October 11th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Yes, Right now I am posting this message using the live distro.
I have also tried with a DVD, but the problem is the same

RobGoss
October 11th, 2016, 09:57 PM
I know you mentioned something about the installation looping but is it just installing with out stopping?

marco139
October 12th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Well, yes it does not stop. But it gives the error message over and over again.
Anyhow, today I will perform a clean installation of Windows and report you back.

RobGoss
October 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Was Windows working correctly before you tried installing Ubuntu? If it was I don't believe this issue is with Windows they are to totally different operating system

It seems extreme to have to reinstall Windows not knowing what's causing this isses with Ubuntu

marco139
October 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
@RobGoss Windows was working correctly

Wonderful! I have reinstalled Windows with the media creation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10). I have done a clean installation of w, deleting all the recovery partions that were created during the updates and removing all the pre-installed apps.
And now everything works. Thank you!

RobGoss
October 12th, 2016, 12:37 PM
@RobGoss Windows was working correctly

Wonderful! I have reinstalled Windows with the media creation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10). I have done a clean installation of w, deleting all the recovery partions that were created during the updates and removing all the pre-installed apps.
And now everything works. Thank you!

Were you able to install Ubuntu also you mentioned everything is working correctly does that include Ubuntu?

marco139
October 12th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Were you able to install Ubuntu also you mentioned everything is working correctly does that include Ubuntu?

Yes, of course :)

RobGoss
October 12th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Glad everything work out with the installation if your issue was solved would you mind marking this post as solved. You can do this by using the Thread tools tab from the drop down menu at the top of this post. Thank you

Bucky Ball
October 12th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Excellent news, well done and thanks for marking as solved.

Enjoy. ;)