PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Cannot generate useful backtrace debug info for crash reporting, Kubuntu panels

Peter_Brandon
October 9th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I recently installed 16.04.1 Xenial on my computer. I have since had numerous Plasma shell crashes in which my panels disappear (and restart) and something called "Crash Reporting Assistant" appears. I'd like to help out by filing a report, but the backtrace part of the crash report dialog says "The generated crash information is not useful". It offers a couple links to help my figure out how to generate useful reports. One tells me that packages with debug info for plasmashell are missing. I looked up the package for plasmashell, which is plasma-workspace, but plasma-worksapce-dbg was already installed. I then used synaptic to search for all files containing keywords 'plasma' and 'debug' and installed all of them (except for the plasma sdk dbg). This had no effect--I still get the crash info not useful message. The other link leads to a defunct web page, but it says to go to a community wiki. After a few more steps, I get to here: https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reports#Kubuntu . There, it suggests I install kdelibs5-dbg. That also has no effect. I just added pkg-create-dbgsym, just had another crash, and again no difference.

Peter_Brandon
October 12th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Bump....