PDA

View Full Version : Icky Xbox one need an idea from you smart networking folks..

oddballmotorsports
October 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
So,
obviously I'm on an Ubuntu forum, so I've made the switch and haven't looked back (YAY!) Unfortunately my girlfriend hasn't and just loves her xbox one. and yes its just as crappy as windows 10. I just recently installed a home theater based around a projector, using an hdmi splitter so we have a TV in the bedroom, and one in the theater room a scant 20' away. the xbox lives in the bedroom, and due to the low range of what ever wireless protocol is being used she can't play games in the theater room. so of course the new xbox one S now has Bluetooth wireless (gee ya think they planned that?) and has a 40' range, and the controllers are not backwards compatible. (gee there's that purposely bad planning thing again) now that I'm done ranting, on to what I want to do..

A quick look online and I found folks using usb over ip adapters and running cat 5 cable. which to me seems pretty rube Goldberg. now considering that I already have a wireless router with plenty of signal in the theater room, of which the xbox is already on. so to me, a simplified version of that would be a USB to WIFI adapter on the controller, connect to my home wireless network, and configure the xbox somehow to listen over the network for controller commands. 2nd slightly more complicated option. usb to wifi and then a Ethernet to usb adapter plugged into a router port, then to the xbox.

3rd option, which I feel to be over my head. A repeater. while looking for answers, I've found several people asking the same question, and getting no answer. so as far as I can tell there is no "buy me off the shelf" option. With my limited knowledge of how things work ive at least got a "battle plan" as how to accomplish at least a rough outline of how it could work. first would be to find out just exactly what language the controller is speaking (wireless usb?) and build one. are there any wireless signal identifiers (possibly an android app?) that listen to the airwaves, and give me info on signals other than wifi? or is there a generic repeater that just rebroadcasts everything? or something like that? I would like to do this cheaply, and wirelessly. so any suggestions would be great!