PDA

View Full Version : Cannot type in Hebrew. (Did install required Hebrew support)

GailHard
October 8th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I am running Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I have installed Hebrew support. I can see the "source" (current language) in the upper menu bar; and I can switch between English and Hebrew using a mouse right-click on the "En -He" template at the upper menu bar.
I did configure, in Keyboard -> Text Entry Alt- Shift L and Alt- Shift R for switching between "Sources".

Still, whatever I do or try, it doesn't type in Hebrew - keeps typing English

Many TIA

Gail

howefield
October 8th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Does the default keyboard combination Super + Spacebar not work ?

GailHard
October 8th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Does the default keyboard combination Super + Spacebar not work ? Super+Spacebar just types a space. BTW, it was never the default. I think the default was something with Alt+Meta+Shift.

But the issue is, the problem IMO is not with the source switching; like I said in the OP, I can switch sources using the little template in the upper menu bar; the issue is that even if I switch sources, it still keeps typing in English only!

howefield
October 8th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Super+Spacebar just types a space. BTW, it was never the default. I think the default was something with Alt+Meta+Shift.

Super+Space has been the default since 14.04. Sorry it isn't working for you.

But the issue is, the problem IMO is not with the source switching; like I said in the OP, I can switch sources using the little template in the upper menu bar; the issue is that even if I switch sources, it still keeps typing in English only!

Yes, before replying earlier, I tested by adding Hebrew as a language which gave me 3 sources, English (UK) English (US) and Hebrew, Super + Space cycled through each in turn and typed the characters accordingly as expected. Just to check, are you running the default Unity desktop or something else ?