PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot login on Ubuntu One from Software Center

sasuke83
October 2nd, 2016, 06:46 PM
Hi guys,

when I try to install Telegram from the Software Center (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), it shows me a dialog to login to Ubuntu One with the "Single Sign-On" system.
I already have an Ubuntu One account, but when I enter my email and password it shows the following error: "Incorrect email or password".
I tried to login via internet, using firefox, and the username and password work correctly.
So, I changed my password and I tried to login again... but nothing. It not works. It returns always the same error.
(This happens only when I try to login from the software center)

What can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

ajgreeny
October 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
You have obviously managed to login to the forum which uses the SSO password, so make sure you are using that password when asked for it in the SC, if that is really what you are being asked for.

As far as I'm aware the SC needs your system username account password, not the SSO one, though I have never used the SC or gnome-software or any of those applications. For me it is a choice between the command line apt-get, or if I use a GUI, synaptic is my choice, and both of those ask for the username account password to authorise, not the SSO password.

sasuke83
October 2nd, 2016, 09:01 PM
See screenshot of Ubuntu-software window.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2549/7hH36d.png

Uhm... it asks me the SSO account info. (Sorry the screenshot is in italian)

ajgreeny
October 2nd, 2016, 09:53 PM
So it does!

As I said I do not use Ubuntu-software, as it is now called, so was not aware of this. However, I note this is a non-libera package which means it is probably not in the normal Ubuntu repos and therefore has other authorisation requirements to synaptic or apt-get.

Is this a paid for package or is it still free of cost?

deadflowr
October 2nd, 2016, 10:12 PM
It's a snap package, which is why it asks for UbuntuOne.
Try installing it ala the snap command line:

sudo snap install telegram-sergiusens

ajgreeny
October 2nd, 2016, 11:00 PM
Ah!

I do not know anything about snap packages as I'm still using 14.04 where they are not available.

marcodasilva26
October 3rd, 2016, 06:34 PM
Having the same exact issue can't download from "ubuntu software" because SSO is incorrect?!

sasuke83
October 11th, 2016, 11:14 PM

Thanks!! From terminal works correctly. But... can be considered a bug?

oldsmobile_mike
October 12th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Same problem here, can't sign into Ubuntu One through the app to download programs, keeps saying "incorrect email or password", even though I've reset it five times. Looks like a bug! :(

deadflowr
October 12th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Thanks!! From terminal works correctly. But... can be considered a bug?

Yep, and here it is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1616943
No need to comment unless you can actually add anything useful, just add yourself as being affected.

mlcasellas
October 12th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Thank you for this solution!!! ;-) I had the same problem today installing krita 3.0.1.1 from the Software Center Xubuntu. Finally I got it from the terminal. And I suscribed to the Bug(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1616943). Thanks again ajgreeny!!! :-)

leorikzz
October 18th, 2016, 03:22 PM

thank you for solution :KS

runlevel0
November 26th, 2016, 04:08 PM
You have obviously managed to login to the forum which uses the SSO password, so make sure you are using that password when asked for it in the SC

Well quite obviously yes... but AFAIK neither I nor the OP use his/her email as a password, right?

I am rather very sure that the SC is _NOT_ asking me for my system password but for my email adress, but of course, I could be wrong though:
English is not my first language and I may have misinterpreted some nuance in the way the expression "Email address:" is spelled.
;)

deadflowr
November 26th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Well quite obviously yes... but AFAIK neither I nor the OP use his/her email as a password, right?

I am rather very sure that the SC is _NOT_ asking me for my system password but for my email adress, but of course, I could be wrong though:
English is not my first language and I may have misinterpreted some nuance in the way the expression "Email address:" is spelled.
;)

The Ubuntu Software uses the same account info used to login to this place: the forums. (Ubuntu Single Sign-on; SSO)
Of course nothing should stop someone from deciding to use the same email address as the password......
(except common sense)

Your English is fine, from the little I've read.
(Much better than some, even some for which English is their first language, including me)

gunkan
January 27th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Same problem here, incorrect email or password... :( fresh ubuntu 16-10 install. Tried to install VLC from Ubuntu Software and error.

howefield
January 27th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Same problem here, incorrect email or password... :( fresh ubuntu 16-10 install. Tried to install VLC from Ubuntu Software and error.

Well, the answer is in the thread so read a little more...

Just in case you are inadvertently trying to install the "snap" package which does indeed need SSO credentials, there is another VLC package available, the traditional deb package which will install just fine from the Software Centre, the snap package will be described in the details section a "daily" so you will know which one is which or just install VLC from the terminal.

sudo apt install vlc

nwillo
March 6th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I did the following to solve my problem of logging in Ubuntu Software Center:
1. Uninstall the software center

sudo apt purge gnome-software

2. Then run an update

sudo apt update

3. Reinstall Software Center

sudo apt install software-center

This did me the trick. My machine runs Ubuntu 16.10 dual boot along side Windows 10

howefield
March 6th, 2017, 10:34 AM
I did the following to solve my problem of logging in Ubuntu Software Center:

Shouldn't have to uninstall anything, applying normal updates should give you the fixes to sort out logging into Ubuntu Software application.